This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now through June 15, you can get a 25% bonus when transferring hotel points from any of eight different hotel programs to American Airlines’ AAdvantage program. The number of points transferred and miles received depends on the program that you are transferring from:
Note that Wyndham points transfer to AAdvantage, but Wyndham isn’t participating in this bonus promotion.
American Airlines’ Terms and Conditions for this promotion note that the 25% bonus miles might take up to seven days to post. If you’re looking at a particular award flight, American Airlines will let you hold an award flight for up to five days. Since the five-day hold might run out before the 25% bonus posts, you might not want to count on the 25% bonus miles if award availability is tight.
Transfer times from the hotel programs to AAdvantage are going to depend on the program. We tested a transfer from SPG and found that the transfer time from Starpoints to AAdvantage miles is two days.
Is It Worth It?
Generally no. However, there are some cases where it could make sense for your situation. For example, some programs allow you to transfer a relatively small amount of points, making it a good way of clearing out low account balances.
Let’s take a look at how many hotel points you’ll transfer and how many AA miles you’ll get (after the 25% bonus). Some programs have multiple tiers of potential point transfers. For this chart, we’re using the smallest transfer that provides the best transfer rate.
Value columns are based on TPG valuations and are rounded to the nearest dollar, but the “Change in Value” column is based on un-rounded data:
|Hotel program||Hotel Points||AA Miles||Value of Hotel Points||Value of AA Miles||Change in Value|
|World of Hyatt||5,000||2,500||$90||$38||-58%|
|IHG Rewards Club||10,000||2,500||$70||$38||-46%|
|Starwood Preferred Guest||20,000||31,250||$540||$469||-13%|
**TPG doesn’t have a valuation for Best Western points.
As you can see, you’re generally going to lose value out of most of these transfers. However, this transfer bonus could be a good opportunity to clear out small hotel balances or top off your AAdvantage account for a redemption. One awesome redemption opportunity available now is 70,000 AAdvantage miles from the US to the Middle East in Qatar’s amazing business class.
Marriott Rewards Hotel + Air package
Notice that “varies” line on for Marriott Rewards? Marriott point transfers to AA start at just 5:1 (10,000 Marriott Rewards = 2,000 AAdvantage miles before bonus), but the rate improves as you transfer more points. For example, if you transfer 140,000 Marriott points, you can end up with 62,500 miles after the transfer bonus. But, it gets better from there.
Using Marriott Reward’s Hotel + Air packages — and a large Marriott balance — transferring points during this promotion might make a lot of sense. You can get 150,000 AAdvantage miles (120,000 + 25% bonus) and a seven-night hotel stay at Marriott. The cost depends on the category of hotel you want:
- Category 1-5 hotel: 270,000 Marriott points (or 90,000 Starpoints)
- Category 6: 300,000 Marriott points
- Category 7: 330,000 Marriott points
- Category 8: 360,000 Marriott points
- Category 9: 390,000 Marriott points
For the cheapest package, you’re giving up 270,000 Marriott points — which we value at $2,430 — for 150,000 AAdvantage miles (valued $2,250). So, if you can get at least $180 of value from the seven night stay, it could make sense to take advantage of this package.
Are you going to transfer points during this promotion?
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees