This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now through June 15, you can get a 25% bonus when transferring hotel points from any of eight different hotel programs to American Airlines’ AAdvantage program. The number of points transferred and miles received depends on the program that you are transferring from:
Note that Wyndham points transfer to AAdvantage, but Wyndham isn’t participating in this bonus promotion.
American Airlines’ Terms and Conditions for this promotion note that the 25% bonus miles might take up to seven days to post. If you’re looking at a particular award flight, American Airlines will let you hold an award flight for up to five days. Since the five-day hold might run out before the 25% bonus posts, you might not want to count on the 25% bonus miles if award availability is tight.
Transfer times from the hotel programs to AAdvantage are going to depend on the program. We tested a transfer from SPG and found that the transfer time from Starpoints to AAdvantage miles is two days.
Is It Worth It?
Generally no. However, there are some cases where it could make sense for your situation. For example, some programs allow you to transfer a relatively small amount of points, making it a good way of clearing out low account balances.
Let’s take a look at how many hotel points you’ll transfer and how many AA miles you’ll get (after the 25% bonus). Some programs have multiple tiers of potential point transfers. For this chart, we’re using the smallest transfer that provides the best transfer rate.
Value columns are based on TPG valuations and are rounded to the nearest dollar, but the “Change in Value” column is based on un-rounded data:
|Hotel program||Hotel Points||AA Miles||Value of Hotel Points||Value of AA Miles||Change in Value|
|World of Hyatt||5,000||2,500||$90||$38||-58%|
|IHG Rewards Club||10,000||2,500||$70||$38||-46%|
|Starwood Preferred Guest||20,000||31,250||$540||$469||-13%|
**TPG doesn’t have a valuation for Best Western points.
As you can see, you’re generally going to lose value out of most of these transfers. However, this transfer bonus could be a good opportunity to clear out small hotel balances or top off your AAdvantage account for a redemption. One awesome redemption opportunity available now is 70,000 AAdvantage miles from the US to the Middle East in Qatar’s amazing business class.
Marriott Rewards Hotel + Air package
Notice that “varies” line on for Marriott Rewards? Marriott point transfers to AA start at just 5:1 (10,000 Marriott Rewards = 2,000 AAdvantage miles before bonus), but the rate improves as you transfer more points. For example, if you transfer 140,000 Marriott points, you can end up with 62,500 miles after the transfer bonus. But, it gets better from there.
Using Marriott Reward’s Hotel + Air packages — and a large Marriott balance — transferring points during this promotion might make a lot of sense. You can get 150,000 AAdvantage miles (120,000 + 25% bonus) and a seven-night hotel stay at Marriott. The cost depends on the category of hotel you want:
- Category 1-5 hotel: 270,000 Marriott points (or 90,000 Starpoints)
- Category 6: 300,000 Marriott points
- Category 7: 330,000 Marriott points
- Category 8: 360,000 Marriott points
- Category 9: 390,000 Marriott points
For the cheapest package, you’re giving up 270,000 Marriott points — which we value at $2,430 — for 150,000 AAdvantage miles (valued $2,250). So, if you can get at least $180 of value from the seven night stay, it could make sense to take advantage of this package.
Are you going to transfer points during this promotion?
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees