Interest in Travel to Russia Increases Among Americans
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While Russia has found its way into the news a lot lately, it seems the old adage still rings true: There’s no such thing as bad press.
Travel Weekly recently reported that tour operators in the US are noticing an upswing in demand for travel to Russia by American travelers. And while there may be many reasons for the sudden renewed interest in visiting — whether due to recent news stories about the country, a strong US dollar or a natural increase following reduced travel to the region after political struggles developed with Ukraine back in March of 2014 — it’s seems Americans are once again ready and willing to explore this complicated nation.
MIR Corp. — a Seattle-based tour company that specializes in tours to Russia, Europe and Asia — has already seen passenger counts nearly double since the same time last year, while Intrepid Travel says bookings for its Trans-Siberian Railway tour have doubled compared to its 2016 trips, citing a 7% increase in travel to the country overall. Viking River Cruises recently added an extra ship to its fleet in order to keep up with demand for Russia sailings, which Viking’s senior VP of marketing Richard Marnell told Travel Weekly are already starting to sell out.
What do you think? Would you plan a trip to Russia this year? Sound off, below.
H/T: Travel Weekly
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.