Air India Will Start Charging Unruly Passengers $7,000+ for Delaying Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following news of passengers delaying flights — most notably, the United dragging incident — airlines around the world are taking notice. While some here at home have begun changing their policies about compensation and overbooking, one international carrier is planning on going another route. Air India announced this week that it plans to fine unruly passengers who delay a flight.
According to the New Delhi-based carrier, if a passenger is behaving badly and they delay the flight up to one hour, Air India will charge the passenger 500,000 rupees (~$7,750). The more disruptive the passenger, the more Air India will charge. If the actions are enough to delay the flight between one and two hours, the passenger will be charged 1,000,000 rupees (~$15,500). The maximum fine is reserved for those who delay a flight more than two hours — a whopping amount of 1,500,000 rupees (~$23,260).
According to The Times of India, Air India isn’t charging these fines to compensate for any damages or loss in revenue, but instead to represent “a symbolic amount” for unruly passengers. The move comes after a couple of incidents of unruly passengers on Air India metal — with government officials. Last month, one parliament member beat a 60-year-old Air India employee with a pair of sandals when he wasn’t upgraded. In a separate incident, another parliament member delayed a flight when her mother, who used a wheelchair, refused to move from an emergency exit row.
The carrier says its new policy, which reserves the right to fine passengers, will allow employees to deal with unruly travelers more freely. The move also comes just a couple months after Air India was named the third-worst in the world for its on-time performance. While the Air India product isn’t known to be one of the best, perhaps its on-time performance will get a bump with these new rules.
H/T: Fox News
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees