WestJet 737 Almost Misses the Runway at Maho Beach
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
St. Maarten’s Princess Juliana International Airport (SXM) is known to AvGeeks as one of the best places in the world for plane spotting. Maho Beach is just steps away from the runway, and beachgoers can watch as the giant metal birds pass right over their heads before landing at the airport. But, this also means that the landing can be tricky for pilots.
Last week, an incoming WestJet Boeing 737 narrowly avoided a disastrous encounter with the water while making its approach into SXM. WestJet Flight 2652 was on its way to the island from Toronto (YYZ). The flight left on time, but when the aircraft made its first approach into the airport, it came too close to the ocean below it.
About 45 minutes after its first attempt, the aircraft successfully landed at SXM on its second attempt. The flight landed 38 minutes after its scheduled arrival time.
The entire incident was caught on video. You can watch it below:
A spokeswoman from WestJet told Christine Negroni, “According to the information I have been given there was nothing unusual about the first approach.” But, the video seems to show otherwise, as the plane came very close to the water, and was forced to pull up.
There may have been other factors at play during the first approach, like wind shear that could have thrown off the landing. Thankfully, no one was harmed and the plane safely landed as SXM on the second attempt But, surely the experience would have been scary if you were a passenger on the 168-seat 737 — even more so now that we can see just how close the plane got to the water.
Featured image courtesy of HawkeyePilot via Getty Images.
H/T: The Telegraph
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees