WestJet 737 Almost Misses the Runway at Maho Beach
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
St. Maarten’s Princess Juliana International Airport (SXM) is known to AvGeeks as one of the best places in the world for plane spotting. Maho Beach is just steps away from the runway, and beachgoers can watch as the giant metal birds pass right over their heads before landing at the airport. But, this also means that the landing can be tricky for pilots.
Last week, an incoming WestJet Boeing 737 narrowly avoided a disastrous encounter with the water while making its approach into SXM. WestJet Flight 2652 was on its way to the island from Toronto (YYZ). The flight left on time, but when the aircraft made its first approach into the airport, it came too close to the ocean below it.
About 45 minutes after its first attempt, the aircraft successfully landed at SXM on its second attempt. The flight landed 38 minutes after its scheduled arrival time.
The entire incident was caught on video. You can watch it below:
A spokeswoman from WestJet told Christine Negroni, “According to the information I have been given there was nothing unusual about the first approach.” But, the video seems to show otherwise, as the plane came very close to the water, and was forced to pull up.
There may have been other factors at play during the first approach, like wind shear that could have thrown off the landing. Thankfully, no one was harmed and the plane safely landed as SXM on the second attempt But, surely the experience would have been scary if you were a passenger on the 168-seat 737 — even more so now that we can see just how close the plane got to the water.
Featured image courtesy of HawkeyePilot via Getty Images.
H/T: The Telegraph
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.