United and American Issue Travel Waivers For This Weekend’s Winter Weather
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Update 3/18/17 5:15pm: Southwest also has travel waivers in effect — you can find the complete list of cities below.
Much of the US got socked with heavy snow last weekend from Winter Storm Stella, and while most of those areas are having a much nicer Saturday and Sunday, there is some additional snow and precipitation expected in parts of the Northeast and Great Lakes regions this weekend.
While many airlines have not issued travel waivers this time around, both United and American are offering the option to rebook without fees if you’re flying on either of those carriers though a significant swath of cities.
Remember, if you can’t delay your itinerary, airlines aren’t going to be responsible for paying for your meals or hotels in the case of weather-related delays/cancellations. But some top cards have flight delay/cancellation insurance that can reimburse you for weather issues, including the Citi Prestige ($500 per passenger for 3+ hour delay), the Chase Sapphire Reserve ($500 per ticket for 6+ hour or overnight delay) and Chase Sapphire Preferred ($500 per ticket for 12+ hour or overnight delay).
As of this writing, here are the available travel waivers on American and United for today and Sunday:
American has issued a travel waiver for those flying to, from or through these cities on March 18-19:
- Akron, Ohio (CAK)
- Albany, New York (ALB)
- Allentown, Pennsylvania (ABE)
- Bangor, Maine (BGR)
- Boston, Massachusetts (BOS)
- Buffalo, New York (BUF)
- Burlington, Vermont (BTV)
- Cleveland, Ohio (CLE)
- Detroit, Michigan (DTW)
- Erie, Pennsylvania (ERI)
- Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (MDT)
- Hartford, Connecticut (BDL)
- Ithaca, New York (ITH)
- Long Island, New York (ISP)
- Manchester, New Hampshire (MHT)
- Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts (MVY)
- Nantucket, Massachusetts (ACK)
- Newark, New York (EWR)
- New Haven, Connecticut (HVN)
- New York, New York (JFK)
- New York, New York (LGA)
- New Windsor, New York (SWF)
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (PHL)
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (PIT)
- Portland, Maine (PWM)
- Providence, Rhode Island (PVD)
- Rochester, New York (ROC)
- Scranton, Pennsylvania (AVP)
- State College, Pennsylvania (SCE)
- Syracuse, New York (SYR)
- Toledo, Ohio (TOL)
- White Plains, New York (HPN)
- Williamsport, Pennsylvania (IPT)
You must have bought your ticket by March 17. Rebook travel anytime between March 17-21. You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same class or pay the difference.
United has issued a travel waiver for those flying to, from or through these cities on March 18-19:
- Albany, NY (ALB)
- Allentown, PA (ABE)
- Bangor, ME (BGR)
- Boston, MA (BOS)
- Buffalo, NY (BUF)
- Erie, PA (ERI)
- Harrisburg, PA (MDT)
- Hartford, CT (BDL)
- Ithaca, NY (ITH)
- Manchester, NH (MHT)
- New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)
- New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
- New York-Newark, NJ (EWR)
- Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
- Pittsburgh, PA (PIT)
- Portland, ME (PWM)
- Providence, RI (PVD)
- Rochester, NY (ROC)
- State College, PA (SCE)
- Syracuse, NY (SYR)
- Toronto, ON, CA (YYZ)
- White Plains, NY (HPN)
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA (AVP)
The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before March 22, 2017, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
Southwest has issued a travel waiver for those flying to, from or through these cities on March 18-19:
- Albany (ALB)
- Akron-Canton (CAK)
- Boston (BOS)
- Buffalo (BUF)
- Cleveland (CLE)
- Detroit (DTW)
- Hartford (BDL)
- Long Island MacArthur (ISP)
- Manchester (MHT)
- New York LaGuardia (LGA)
- Newark (EWR)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Pittsburgh (PIT)
- Portland (PWM)
- Providence (PVD)
- Rochester (ROC)
Customers who want to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with the airline’s accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge.
As of this writing, the remaining major US airlines — Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Spirit and Virgin America — have not issued any travel waivers, but we will update this post if new information becomes available.
Featured image courtesy of Sean Proctor/The Boston Globe via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees