This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s a delicate science to arriving at the airport at just the right time: get there too late, and you risk missing your flight and dealing with the headache of rebooking; get there too early and you risk ordering too many martinis at the airport lounge.
Leave it to the folks at TripIt to come up with the perfect solution. Last week, the popular app — which endeavors to organize all of your travel documents and itineraries in one place — announced “Go Now,” a new feature that will alert travelers to the best time to leave for the airport based on their location, current traffic conditions and flight status.
The new feature is available to TripIt Pro users (who pay a $49 annual fee), and as of this writing, only works for domestic flights within the US. The “Go Now” feature starts working 24 hours before your trip and essentially turns your phone into a mobile memo, issuing reminders and creating a “countdown clock” two hours before go-time that shows you just how much time you have to hop in the car — you’ll even get a 10-minute warning push notification to remind you when it’s almost time to leave. Now if you could only remember where you parked…
Featured image courtesy of TommL via Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees