Singapore Will Bundle Fuel Surcharges and Insurance Fees on Paid Tickets for SQ Operated Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This morning, we learned about a significant program devaluation as well as the elimination of fuel surcharges on Singapore Airlines award tickets. Following that news, the airline has also shared that it will be bundling fuel and insurance surcharges into the base airfare on both Singapore and SilkAir flights when you purchase a ticket on Singapore’s site. These changes will roll out to different regions starting March 28, and the changes are expected to be totally complete by May 2017.
Singapore (and SilkAir) already shows you the full price of the ticket inclusive of taxes and fees on its site, but lists the fuel surcharge and airline insurance fee in separate lines as contributing components of the total fare cost if you look at the breakdown of the ticket (shown below). Once the changes go into effect, however, these fees will be bundled into the base fare and won’t be listed separately as contributing to total cost of the ticket. Fares will still be based on demand in the market so it’s not likely that you’ll see a big difference in the total cost of your ticket after the change goes into effect.
Since the airline is removing fuel surcharges and insurance fees altogether, you won’t have to pay these when you book Singapore flights through select Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, however, it’s unlikely that you’d be able to book premium-cabin Singapore awards using partner miles, given how stingy the airline is in releasing award space to its partners.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees