Singapore Will Bundle Fuel Surcharges and Insurance Fees on Paid Tickets for SQ Operated Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This morning, we learned about a significant program devaluation as well as the elimination of fuel surcharges on Singapore Airlines award tickets. Following that news, the airline has also shared that it will be bundling fuel and insurance surcharges into the base airfare on both Singapore and SilkAir flights when you purchase a ticket on Singapore’s site. These changes will roll out to different regions starting March 28, and the changes are expected to be totally complete by May 2017.
Singapore (and SilkAir) already shows you the full price of the ticket inclusive of taxes and fees on its site, but lists the fuel surcharge and airline insurance fee in separate lines as contributing components of the total fare cost if you look at the breakdown of the ticket (shown below). Once the changes go into effect, however, these fees will be bundled into the base fare and won’t be listed separately as contributing to total cost of the ticket. Fares will still be based on demand in the market so it’s not likely that you’ll see a big difference in the total cost of your ticket after the change goes into effect.
Since the airline is removing fuel surcharges and insurance fees altogether, you won’t have to pay these when you book Singapore flights through select Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, however, it’s unlikely that you’d be able to book premium-cabin Singapore awards using partner miles, given how stingy the airline is in releasing award space to its partners.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.