Singapore Will Bundle Fuel Surcharges and Insurance Fees on Paid Tickets for SQ Operated Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This morning, we learned about a significant program devaluation as well as the elimination of fuel surcharges on Singapore Airlines award tickets. Following that news, the airline has also shared that it will be bundling fuel and insurance surcharges into the base airfare on both Singapore and SilkAir flights when you purchase a ticket on Singapore’s site. These changes will roll out to different regions starting March 28, and the changes are expected to be totally complete by May 2017.
Singapore (and SilkAir) already shows you the full price of the ticket inclusive of taxes and fees on its site, but lists the fuel surcharge and airline insurance fee in separate lines as contributing components of the total fare cost if you look at the breakdown of the ticket (shown below). Once the changes go into effect, however, these fees will be bundled into the base fare and won’t be listed separately as contributing to total cost of the ticket. Fares will still be based on demand in the market so it’s not likely that you’ll see a big difference in the total cost of your ticket after the change goes into effect.
Since the airline is removing fuel surcharges and insurance fees altogether, you won’t have to pay these when you book Singapore flights through select Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, however, it’s unlikely that you’d be able to book premium-cabin Singapore awards using partner miles, given how stingy the airline is in releasing award space to its partners.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees