This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This morning, we learned about a significant program devaluation as well as the elimination of fuel surcharges on Singapore Airlines award tickets. Following that news, the airline has also shared that it will be bundling fuel and insurance surcharges into the base airfare on both Singapore and SilkAir flights when you purchase a ticket on Singapore’s site. These changes will roll out to different regions starting March 28, and the changes are expected to be totally complete by May 2017.
Singapore (and SilkAir) already shows you the full price of the ticket inclusive of taxes and fees on its site, but lists the fuel surcharge and airline insurance fee in separate lines as contributing components of the total fare cost if you look at the breakdown of the ticket (shown below). Once the changes go into effect, however, these fees will be bundled into the base fare and won’t be listed separately as contributing to total cost of the ticket. Fares will still be based on demand in the market so it’s not likely that you’ll see a big difference in the total cost of your ticket after the change goes into effect.
Since the airline is removing fuel surcharges and insurance fees altogether, you won’t have to pay these when you book Singapore flights through select Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, however, it’s unlikely that you’d be able to book premium-cabin Singapore awards using partner miles, given how stingy the airline is in releasing award space to its partners.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees