This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This morning, we learned about a significant program devaluation as well as the elimination of fuel surcharges on Singapore Airlines award tickets. Following that news, the airline has also shared that it will be bundling fuel and insurance surcharges into the base airfare on both Singapore and SilkAir flights when you purchase a ticket on Singapore’s site. These changes will roll out to different regions starting March 28, and the changes are expected to be totally complete by May 2017.
Singapore (and SilkAir) already shows you the full price of the ticket inclusive of taxes and fees on its site, but lists the fuel surcharge and airline insurance fee in separate lines as contributing components of the total fare cost if you look at the breakdown of the ticket (shown below). Once the changes go into effect, however, these fees will be bundled into the base fare and won’t be listed separately as contributing to total cost of the ticket. Fares will still be based on demand in the market so it’s not likely that you’ll see a big difference in the total cost of your ticket after the change goes into effect.
Since the airline is removing fuel surcharges and insurance fees altogether, you won’t have to pay these when you book Singapore flights through select Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, however, it’s unlikely that you’d be able to book premium-cabin Singapore awards using partner miles, given how stingy the airline is in releasing award space to its partners.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees