This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For most travelers, getting stuck in the middle seat on a plane is just as unfortunate as sitting next to the lavatory. (Let’s not even talk about getting stuck in a middle seat next to the bathroom.) While some airlines have tried to combat the middle seat stigma — Frontier Airlines, for example, expanded its middle seats to 19 inches in 2015, making them a full inch wider than the chairs on either side of them — one California hotel is rewarding travelers for their willingness to be slightly uncomfortable as they take to the friendly skies.
The Shore Hotel in Santa Monica, California has introduced a new deal called “Middle Seat Flyers,” which offers guests a one category upgrade on their pre-booked rooms as long as they provide proof (read: their boarding pass) that they traveled to the LA area in a middle seat in coach. Whether or not the upgrade (which is valued at about $90) is worth it really depends on the duration of your flight and stay. Someone from San Francisco with a quick one-night stay may not want to bump elbows with seatmates for 90 minutes each way, but being rewarded with a fancier room after arriving from a different time zone for a week’s stay could be the best cure for your impending jet lag.
The “Middle Seat Flyers” deal is being offered now through May 26, 2017. Here’s hoping that other hotels catch on!
Featured image courtesy of The Shore Hotel’s Facebook page.
H/T: Lonely Planet
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards