This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For most travelers, getting stuck in the middle seat on a plane is just as unfortunate as sitting next to the lavatory. (Let’s not even talk about getting stuck in a middle seat next to the bathroom.) While some airlines have tried to combat the middle seat stigma — Frontier Airlines, for example, expanded its middle seats to 19 inches in 2015, making them a full inch wider than the chairs on either side of them — one California hotel is rewarding travelers for their willingness to be slightly uncomfortable as they take to the friendly skies.
The Shore Hotel in Santa Monica, California has introduced a new deal called “Middle Seat Flyers,” which offers guests a one category upgrade on their pre-booked rooms as long as they provide proof (read: their boarding pass) that they traveled to the LA area in a middle seat in coach. Whether or not the upgrade (which is valued at about $90) is worth it really depends on the duration of your flight and stay. Someone from San Francisco with a quick one-night stay may not want to bump elbows with seatmates for 90 minutes each way, but being rewarded with a fancier room after arriving from a different time zone for a week’s stay could be the best cure for your impending jet lag.
The “Middle Seat Flyers” deal is being offered now through May 26, 2017. Here’s hoping that other hotels catch on!
Featured image courtesy of The Shore Hotel’s Facebook page.
H/T: Lonely Planet
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees