This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For most travelers, getting stuck in the middle seat on a plane is just as unfortunate as sitting next to the lavatory. (Let’s not even talk about getting stuck in a middle seat next to the bathroom.) While some airlines have tried to combat the middle seat stigma — Frontier Airlines, for example, expanded its middle seats to 19 inches in 2015, making them a full inch wider than the chairs on either side of them — one California hotel is rewarding travelers for their willingness to be slightly uncomfortable as they take to the friendly skies.
The Shore Hotel in Santa Monica, California has introduced a new deal called “Middle Seat Flyers,” which offers guests a one category upgrade on their pre-booked rooms as long as they provide proof (read: their boarding pass) that they traveled to the LA area in a middle seat in coach. Whether or not the upgrade (which is valued at about $90) is worth it really depends on the duration of your flight and stay. Someone from San Francisco with a quick one-night stay may not want to bump elbows with seatmates for 90 minutes each way, but being rewarded with a fancier room after arriving from a different time zone for a week’s stay could be the best cure for your impending jet lag.
The “Middle Seat Flyers” deal is being offered now through May 26, 2017. Here’s hoping that other hotels catch on!
Featured image courtesy of The Shore Hotel’s Facebook page.
H/T: Lonely Planet
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees