Review of Awesome Car Service on Maui
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I think I’ve just about finished my planned posts on our most recent trip to Maui, which are all linked at the end of this post, but there is one big Maui tip I haven’t yet worked in anywhere and don’t want to miss. Because of the very long travel day and the reality that we were going to land in Maui around 11PM local arrival time (4AM Central), we decided to skip renting a car the first night and instead just get a ride straight to our hotel.
Not only did that sound better logistically than taking the rental car shuttle bus to the rental car company, dealing with that process, and hoping there were no glitches along the way, but frankly it actually was a potential cost savings since we didn’t really need a car the first few days. By delaying getting a rental we not only avoided a few days of the car rental fee, but also the $18 – $28 per day parking fee at the Hyatt Regency Maui.
There is Uber on Maui, but from what I understand it isn’t super reliable since the island is pretty spread out. We didn’t want to leave anything to chance at 4 in the morning (to our bodies), so I scheduled a confirmed airport pick-up to take us straight to the hotel. Most Maui car service companies I found online wanted literally hundreds of dollars for a private transfer to the part of the island where the Hyatt Regency Maui is located.
However, when I found Christopher Luxury Sedan Service I was thrilled as they “only” wanted $129 + tax/tip to schedule a private ride at 11PM at night in a very nice BMW 7 Series directly from the airport to the Hyatt Regency Maui, which is a good 45 minute drive.
This is a small-ish company ran by a man named, you guessed it, Christopher, who seems to know everybody on Maui. I normally don’t like the phone, but he was actually was a hoot to chat with while confirming the details of our reservation. I would not hesitate to ask him any Maui tips as I bet he knows all the good stuff and all the good folks there are to know on the island.
Upon arrival into Maui I had a text from our driver as expected, so I called her as soon as I was able and she was at passenger pick up ready to whisk us away as we walked out of the airport. We didn’t waste one single minute at the airport, which was good because we were pretty much dragging our seven year old at this point since she had to be woken up from a deep sleep to get off the plane.
The car was indeed a very nice and spacious BMW, but at that hour the most important thing was the safe and direct route to the hotel courtesy of a very friendly but professional driver.
We only used the service to get to the hotel as a few days later we picked up a Hertz rental from the Hyatt Regency Maui so we could easily visit some area restaurants, and ultimately head to the Andaz Maui and eventually back to the airport. I used Hertz points to offset a good portion of that rental fee as it was considered a pricier one-way rental to go from the Hyatt Regency Maui to the Kahului airport.
In retrospect, since “we” ended up getting a speeding ticket in transit to the Andaz Maui (ugh), perhaps it would have been cheaper and less stressful in the grand scheme to just book Christopher Luxury Sedan Service to do all of our Maui driving! In addition to airport transfers, they offer island tours, packages to Mama’s Fish House, and also have hourly rates as well as larger vans for those with a larger party.
I would 100% use this company again to schedule a ride from the Kahului Airport or wherever we wanted to go on Maui.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.