This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Landings in thick fog can certainly be nerve-wracking for passengers gazing out the window, even though the vast majority of commercial airliners are equipped with sophisticated instruments capable of guiding an airplane to the runway in almost any weather. Some airports are located in tricky locations such as in mountainous terrain or very close to city centers, requiring airplanes to execute more turns at low altitude on approach, which is made even more difficult in inclement weather.
As a general rule, if you’re barely above the ground and can see the runway you’re supposed to be landing on to the side of you, something’s wrong. In this crazy aviation video, we see a regional jet come very close to touching down next to — not on — the runway it was supposed to land on at Monterrey International Airport (MTY). The airplane makes a set of turns as it approaches the airport, but you soon realize that it has failed to line up with the runway — you can see the runway lying next to the aircraft as it gets dangerously close to the ground. After a brief attempt to correct course, the pilots increase thrust and initiate a go-around. As other reports have noted, the flight ultimately landed safely after another landing attempt a few minutes later. See the harrowing approach for yourself in the video below:
What’s the most terrifying landing you’ve experienced? Let us know in the comments, below.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees