Watch a Regional Jet Almost Miss the Runway on Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Landings in thick fog can certainly be nerve-wracking for passengers gazing out the window, even though the vast majority of commercial airliners are equipped with sophisticated instruments capable of guiding an airplane to the runway in almost any weather. Some airports are located in tricky locations such as in mountainous terrain or very close to city centers, requiring airplanes to execute more turns at low altitude on approach, which is made even more difficult in inclement weather.
As a general rule, if you’re barely above the ground and can see the runway you’re supposed to be landing on to the side of you, something’s wrong. In this crazy aviation video, we see a regional jet come very close to touching down next to — not on — the runway it was supposed to land on at Monterrey International Airport (MTY). The airplane makes a set of turns as it approaches the airport, but you soon realize that it has failed to line up with the runway — you can see the runway lying next to the aircraft as it gets dangerously close to the ground. After a brief attempt to correct course, the pilots increase thrust and initiate a go-around. As other reports have noted, the flight ultimately landed safely after another landing attempt a few minutes later. See the harrowing approach for yourself in the video below:
What’s the most terrifying landing you’ve experienced? Let us know in the comments, below.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.