This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Landings in thick fog can certainly be nerve-wracking for passengers gazing out the window, even though the vast majority of commercial airliners are equipped with sophisticated instruments capable of guiding an airplane to the runway in almost any weather. Some airports are located in tricky locations such as in mountainous terrain or very close to city centers, requiring airplanes to execute more turns at low altitude on approach, which is made even more difficult in inclement weather.
As a general rule, if you’re barely above the ground and can see the runway you’re supposed to be landing on to the side of you, something’s wrong. In this crazy aviation video, we see a regional jet come very close to touching down next to — not on — the runway it was supposed to land on at Monterrey International Airport (MTY). The airplane makes a set of turns as it approaches the airport, but you soon realize that it has failed to line up with the runway — you can see the runway lying next to the aircraft as it gets dangerously close to the ground. After a brief attempt to correct course, the pilots increase thrust and initiate a go-around. As other reports have noted, the flight ultimately landed safely after another landing attempt a few minutes later. See the harrowing approach for yourself in the video below:
What’s the most terrifying landing you’ve experienced? Let us know in the comments, below.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards