Watch a Regional Jet Almost Miss the Runway on Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Landings in thick fog can certainly be nerve-wracking for passengers gazing out the window, even though the vast majority of commercial airliners are equipped with sophisticated instruments capable of guiding an airplane to the runway in almost any weather. Some airports are located in tricky locations such as in mountainous terrain or very close to city centers, requiring airplanes to execute more turns at low altitude on approach, which is made even more difficult in inclement weather.
As a general rule, if you’re barely above the ground and can see the runway you’re supposed to be landing on to the side of you, something’s wrong. In this crazy aviation video, we see a regional jet come very close to touching down next to — not on — the runway it was supposed to land on at Monterrey International Airport (MTY). The airplane makes a set of turns as it approaches the airport, but you soon realize that it has failed to line up with the runway — you can see the runway lying next to the aircraft as it gets dangerously close to the ground. After a brief attempt to correct course, the pilots increase thrust and initiate a go-around. As other reports have noted, the flight ultimately landed safely after another landing attempt a few minutes later. See the harrowing approach for yourself in the video below:
What’s the most terrifying landing you’ve experienced? Let us know in the comments, below.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.