This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Official Application Link: The Platinum Card from American Express (60,000-point bonus offer)
Update 3/30/17 12:08pm: Some readers are reporting that they aren’t yet able to order a metal card online. If you don’t see the below option listed under the Card Management tab, you may need to contact Amex by phone or online chat to make your request.
Today, the latest round of improvements to the Platinum Card from American Express take effect, including a $200 annual Uber credit, 5x points on hotels booked through Amex Travel and a new metal card design. Also effective today, the annual fee increased from $450 to $550. We at TPG have been eager to get our hands on the new metal card — luckily there’s an easy way to do so.
Earlier this morning, TPG Associate Editor Emily McNutt called American Express and was able to order her replacement card after a 20-minute phone call and was told it’d arrive in her mailbox by April 4, ‘pending weather.’ I, however, decided to go online to order my new card — it was simple and quick. Once you log in to your American Express account and your Platinum card is selected, click the ‘Account Services’ tab towards the top of the page. On the left side of the page, you can select the ‘Card Management’ option, and then you’ll see a an option to ‘Request Metal Card or Replace Damaged Card’ — click that, confirm the security code on the back of the card as well as your shipping address and you’re all set.
Amex gave me the option of getting the card delivered via US mail (scheduled delivery by April 4), or free overnight delivery from UPS — I obviously chose the latter.
I received an email only seconds after I completed my request confirming that I should be receiving my new metal card tomorrow (March 31). If you’re as excited as I am to get your new metal Platinum card as quickly as possible, requesting one online is the way to go — it takes just a few minutes and you’ll likely receive your card faster than if you were to call American Express to complete the same process.
As a reminder, the new Amex Platinum Card is currently offering an elevated sign-up bonus of 60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in the first three months. It’s not clear how long that elevated bonus will last.
Have you been able to order a metal Platinum card online? Share your experience in the comments, below.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees