Poll Says Americans Aren’t Ready for Self-Driving Cars
A new survey conducted by AAA recently determined that 78% of people are fearful of riding in autonomous vehicles. 54% of drivers also said they were wary of sharing the road with them, while 10% said they would actually feel safer being on the road with them.
The study seemed to contradict itself though, as it also found 59% of drivers would like to have self-driving features in their next vehicle, as adding technology to automate self-parking, emergency braking and adaptive cruise control is something the respondents were interested in.
Uber has slowly been rolling out self-driving cars in cities across the US, most recently in Tempe, Arizona. 11 states have passed some sort of legislation encouraging the testing of these new modes of transport, although certain states have stricter regulations than others. Uber had to stop its trial in San Francisco after not applying for a permit, for instance.
This year’s results are relatively unchanged from those of 2016, revealing that drivers are still hesitant to fully embrace the new autonomous vehicles. AAA believes that as time goes on, the public will become more receptive to self-driving cars and the new technology would help put an end to the 35,000 deaths caused annually by (regular) car accidents. Google’s subsidiary, Waymo, can be seen testing cars around Silicon Valley. Apple also revealed in December that it’s working on its own self-driving technology.
Featured Image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.