This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is incentivizing New York travelers to fly with the carrier by offering bonus miles or premier-qualifying miles (PQMs). Note that this offer is targeted, and you can check to see if you’re eligible by visiting United’s promotions website and entering your MileagePlus number.
If you are eligible for the promotion, you’ll see two figures — how two earn a certain number of bonus award miles and how to earn a certain number of PQMs. For example, I’m a basic MileagePlus member with no status, and I was targeted for the following offer:
As you can see, if I spend $800, I’ll earn 9,000 miles or 2,500 PQMs, and if I spend an additional $500, I’ll earn an additional 15,000 miles or 3,500 PQMs. However, TPG reader Ivan L., who has Silver status with United, had a higher offer of 171,000 bonus miles after spending $7,500 with the carrier.
At least some of the MileagePlus members who were targeted for this offer have a New York address in their profile. But it’s not exactly clear how the carrier is determining who is eligible for the offer. According to the terms and conditions, if you are eligible for the promotion, you must register by June 16 and purchase your tickets and travel by June 25 — only tickets purchased after registration are eligible. In addition, only flights operated by United and United Express count toward the spending requirement, and basic economy fares don’t count.
Ultimately, if you think you’re going to be flying with United in the near future and you’re eligible, this is definitely a promotion worth checking out. Your bonus (if you spend at least $800 in the period), would be in addition to the miles and PQMs you’d normally earn for each flight.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that