This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is incentivizing New York travelers to fly with the carrier by offering bonus miles or premier-qualifying miles (PQMs). Note that this offer is targeted, and you can check to see if you’re eligible by visiting United’s promotions website and entering your MileagePlus number.
If you are eligible for the promotion, you’ll see two figures — how two earn a certain number of bonus award miles and how to earn a certain number of PQMs. For example, I’m a basic MileagePlus member with no status, and I was targeted for the following offer:
As you can see, if I spend $800, I’ll earn 9,000 miles or 2,500 PQMs, and if I spend an additional $500, I’ll earn an additional 15,000 miles or 3,500 PQMs. However, TPG reader Ivan L., who has Silver status with United, had a higher offer of 171,000 bonus miles after spending $7,500 with the carrier.
At least some of the MileagePlus members who were targeted for this offer have a New York address in their profile. But it’s not exactly clear how the carrier is determining who is eligible for the offer. According to the terms and conditions, if you are eligible for the promotion, you must register by June 16 and purchase your tickets and travel by June 25 — only tickets purchased after registration are eligible. In addition, only flights operated by United and United Express count toward the spending requirement, and basic economy fares don’t count.
Ultimately, if you think you’re going to be flying with United in the near future and you’re eligible, this is definitely a promotion worth checking out. Your bonus (if you spend at least $800 in the period), would be in addition to the miles and PQMs you’d normally earn for each flight.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards