This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is incentivizing New York travelers to fly with the carrier by offering bonus miles or premier-qualifying miles (PQMs). Note that this offer is targeted, and you can check to see if you’re eligible by visiting United’s promotions website and entering your MileagePlus number.
If you are eligible for the promotion, you’ll see two figures — how two earn a certain number of bonus award miles and how to earn a certain number of PQMs. For example, I’m a basic MileagePlus member with no status, and I was targeted for the following offer:
As you can see, if I spend $800, I’ll earn 9,000 miles or 2,500 PQMs, and if I spend an additional $500, I’ll earn an additional 15,000 miles or 3,500 PQMs. However, TPG reader Ivan L., who has Silver status with United, had a higher offer of 171,000 bonus miles after spending $7,500 with the carrier.
At least some of the MileagePlus members who were targeted for this offer have a New York address in their profile. But it’s not exactly clear how the carrier is determining who is eligible for the offer. According to the terms and conditions, if you are eligible for the promotion, you must register by June 16 and purchase your tickets and travel by June 25 — only tickets purchased after registration are eligible. In addition, only flights operated by United and United Express count toward the spending requirement, and basic economy fares don’t count.
Ultimately, if you think you’re going to be flying with United in the near future and you’re eligible, this is definitely a promotion worth checking out. Your bonus (if you spend at least $800 in the period), would be in addition to the miles and PQMs you’d normally earn for each flight.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees