Earn Bonus Miles and PQMs for Flying With United (Targeted)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is incentivizing New York travelers to fly with the carrier by offering bonus miles or premier-qualifying miles (PQMs). Note that this offer is targeted, and you can check to see if you’re eligible by visiting United’s promotions website and entering your MileagePlus number.
If you are eligible for the promotion, you’ll see two figures — how two earn a certain number of bonus award miles and how to earn a certain number of PQMs. For example, I’m a basic MileagePlus member with no status, and I was targeted for the following offer:
As you can see, if I spend $800, I’ll earn 9,000 miles or 2,500 PQMs, and if I spend an additional $500, I’ll earn an additional 15,000 miles or 3,500 PQMs. However, TPG reader Ivan L., who has Silver status with United, had a higher offer of 171,000 bonus miles after spending $7,500 with the carrier.
At least some of the MileagePlus members who were targeted for this offer have a New York address in their profile. But it’s not exactly clear how the carrier is determining who is eligible for the offer. According to the terms and conditions, if you are eligible for the promotion, you must register by June 16 and purchase your tickets and travel by June 25 — only tickets purchased after registration are eligible. In addition, only flights operated by United and United Express count toward the spending requirement, and basic economy fares don’t count.
Ultimately, if you think you’re going to be flying with United in the near future and you’re eligible, this is definitely a promotion worth checking out. Your bonus (if you spend at least $800 in the period), would be in addition to the miles and PQMs you’d normally earn for each flight.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee