This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is incentivizing New York travelers to fly with the carrier by offering bonus miles or premier-qualifying miles (PQMs). Note that this offer is targeted, and you can check to see if you’re eligible by visiting United’s promotions website and entering your MileagePlus number.
If you are eligible for the promotion, you’ll see two figures — how two earn a certain number of bonus award miles and how to earn a certain number of PQMs. For example, I’m a basic MileagePlus member with no status, and I was targeted for the following offer:
As you can see, if I spend $800, I’ll earn 9,000 miles or 2,500 PQMs, and if I spend an additional $500, I’ll earn an additional 15,000 miles or 3,500 PQMs. However, TPG reader Ivan L., who has Silver status with United, had a higher offer of 171,000 bonus miles after spending $7,500 with the carrier.
At least some of the MileagePlus members who were targeted for this offer have a New York address in their profile. But it’s not exactly clear how the carrier is determining who is eligible for the offer. According to the terms and conditions, if you are eligible for the promotion, you must register by June 16 and purchase your tickets and travel by June 25 — only tickets purchased after registration are eligible. In addition, only flights operated by United and United Express count toward the spending requirement, and basic economy fares don’t count.
Ultimately, if you think you’re going to be flying with United in the near future and you’re eligible, this is definitely a promotion worth checking out. Your bonus (if you spend at least $800 in the period), would be in addition to the miles and PQMs you’d normally earn for each flight.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees