There’s Going to be a Ferris Wheel Next to the Leaning Tower of Pisa
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While the Italian city of Pisa may be best known for its leaning tower — and all the fascinating photo-ops that go along with it — the city’s culture commissioner, Andrea Ferrante, recently announced it’ll be adding a Ferris wheel to the site as a way to help attract even more tourists.
According to an article by The Telegraph, the Ferris wheel will be 165′ tall — almost as tall as the 183′ Tower — and is expected to open this summer in a nearby parking lot so officials can see how it does before installing it permanently. Visitors can expect an impressive bird’s eye view of the Campo dei Miracoli’s three shining stars — the Cathedral (Il Duomo), Baptistery and, of course, the Tower of Pisa — as well as the Mediterranean in the distance.
While the city hopes this will be a fun way to bring in more visitors, not everyone is excited about the new installation. Italia Nostra, an Italian non-profit dedicated to the preservation of Italian culture, has spoken out against the new Ferris wheel, believing it doesn’t mesh with the city’s historic, medieval architecture.
H/T: The Telegraph
Featured image courtesy of Alexander Hassenstein via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees