Mouse Delays San Francisco-Bound British Airways Flight
Passengers aboard a Boeing 777 bound for San Francisco (SFO) from London (LHR) were forced to deplane and switch aircraft because of a mouse spotting. And no, this isn’t a Samuel L. Jackson “Snakes on a Plane” spin-off.
Yesterday, British Airways Flight 285 was delayed more than four hours after a mouse was seen on the aircraft. It was discovered after passengers had boarded the plane and were in their seats, ready for departure. After the sighting, crew reportedly informed passengers that there was a “rather unusual occurrence” and the plane couldn’t take off. Because mice are known to chew through wiring, the aircraft would have to be swapped.
It took several hours for BA to find a replacement 777, but sure enough, passengers were later permitted to board a rodent-free aircraft.
In all, the flight was delayed about four hours and 16 minutes. After the passengers deplaned, BA picked up the lunch tab for an estimated 200 passengers.
Passengers turned to social media to voice their reactions — one in the form of a Haiku:
About to fly to SF
There is a mouse on the plane
We all must get off
— Midland (@midlandsound) March 1, 2017
And another questioning if the mouse had his paperwork:
Just had my flight to SFO cancelled because of a mouse on board the plane. Could it not get a visa?? #britishairways
— Mark Watt (@markwatt) March 1, 2017
Following the delay, British Airways released a statement reading, “We know almost everyone wants to fly with us to San Francisco, but on this occasion there was one very small customer who we had to send back to the gate. Everyone with two legs is now on their way to California, and we are sorry for the delay.”
Thankfully for all involved, passengers were able to soon continue on to San Francisco — mouse-free.
Featured image courtesy of British Airways.
H/T: The Independent
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.