Jet Skiers Narrowly Escape Encounter With Carnival Cruise Ship
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been a dicey couple of days for the cruise industry when it comes to close encounters. Last week, we told you how the Celebrity Equinox came uncomfortably close to a Fort Lauderdale home, scaring the homeowners (and their dog), who filmed the entire thing from their deck. Now, there’s a new video of yet another close encounter, this time between the Carnival Magic cruise ship and a couple of jet skiers.
On Saturday afternoon, Canaveral Pilots Association Captain Doug Brown was navigating the 130,000-ton Carnival Magic out of Port Canaveral when he noticed a jet ski operating in the channel. Brown then alerted a Brevard County Sheriff Marine Unit that was nearby, operated by Deputy Taner Primmer, which then approached the stray jet ski. In a series of scary events, the jet ski flipped over, leaving its two passengers stranded in the water. By working with the Carnival Magic captain and bridge team to maneuver away from the passengers, Primmer was able to pull them onto his boat and away from the impending cruise ship.
The entire incident was captured by a passenger on the cruise ship and posted to YouTube. You can watch it, below:
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
H/T: USA Today
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.