Jet Skiers Narrowly Escape Encounter With Carnival Cruise Ship
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been a dicey couple of days for the cruise industry when it comes to close encounters. Last week, we told you how the Celebrity Equinox came uncomfortably close to a Fort Lauderdale home, scaring the homeowners (and their dog), who filmed the entire thing from their deck. Now, there’s a new video of yet another close encounter, this time between the Carnival Magic cruise ship and a couple of jet skiers.
On Saturday afternoon, Canaveral Pilots Association Captain Doug Brown was navigating the 130,000-ton Carnival Magic out of Port Canaveral when he noticed a jet ski operating in the channel. Brown then alerted a Brevard County Sheriff Marine Unit that was nearby, operated by Deputy Taner Primmer, which then approached the stray jet ski. In a series of scary events, the jet ski flipped over, leaving its two passengers stranded in the water. By working with the Carnival Magic captain and bridge team to maneuver away from the passengers, Primmer was able to pull them onto his boat and away from the impending cruise ship.
The entire incident was captured by a passenger on the cruise ship and posted to YouTube. You can watch it, below:
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
H/T: USA Today
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees