Woman Buys Toddler a Plane Ticket in Amazing Act of Kindness
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While we specialize in making travel a more enjoyable experience by using points and miles, flying itself can often be an exhausting and frustrating experience, whether you’re dealing with long security lines or confusing rules and regulations. According to a recent a recent Facebook post, one man suddenly found himself in a sticky situation when he went to check in for a flight with his two-year-old daughter — but was saved by a Good Samaritan who noticed what was happening.
The man, who had booked his ticket when his daughter was only one year old and therefore allowed to fly for free, was asked by the gate agent how old his daughter was. When he replied that she had just turned two, the agent informed him that his daughter was now old enough to need her own ticket to travel. The Facebook post describes the man as being “heartbroken,” as he was unable to pay for a ticket for his daughter and couldn’t afford to change his own ticket either.
Luckily, one woman, who is rightfully being praised across the internet, overheard the whole thing and after a short talk with the man, approached the gate agent, saying she would pay for the young girl’s ticket instead. After the gate agent informed her that it would cost $749, the internet’s new hero was unfazed. The man hugged her, expressing his gratitude and asking for her address so he could pay her back — she told him not to worry about it.
Last-minute fares are known to be incredibly high and in cases like this, one would hope that the airline — which isn’t named — would give some leeway to an emotional father trying to travel with his young daughter, who’d just turned two in January. If nothing else, hopefully such acts of kindness can inspire others to do the same — and maybe one day airlines will catch on as well.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.