Want a Free Upgrade? Just be Polite to This Airline’s Call Center Agents
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Monarch, a British low-cost carrier based out of Luton Airport (LTN), is going to start offering a maximum of 10 free upgrades a week to certain customers, including special perks like priority check-in and extra-legroom seats.
So, how can you be one of the lucky few? Just make sure you’re extra polite to the airline’s call center staff. In order to qualify for a free upgrade, Monarch customers must purchase their ticket by phone — which will cost you about $9 more than regular fares on the website — or have a legitimate issue they can resolve through the airline’s call center.
According to an article by The Independent, the move was inspired by Pret a Manger, a store that hands out 20,000 free drinks each week to customers as random acts of kindness. While rewarding polite behavior is always a good thing, it does seem the airline is already running into a bit of trouble with customers being unable to get through to the call center. Some have already expressed dismay, tweeting about how annoying the process was after being asked to private message the company on Twitter to resolve an issue — perhaps they won’t be receiving a free upgrade this week.
H/T: The Independent
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees