Want a Free Upgrade? Just be Polite to This Airline’s Call Center Agents
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Monarch, a British low-cost carrier based out of Luton Airport (LTN), is going to start offering a maximum of 10 free upgrades a week to certain customers, including special perks like priority check-in and extra-legroom seats.
So, how can you be one of the lucky few? Just make sure you’re extra polite to the airline’s call center staff. In order to qualify for a free upgrade, Monarch customers must purchase their ticket by phone — which will cost you about $9 more than regular fares on the website — or have a legitimate issue they can resolve through the airline’s call center.
According to an article by The Independent, the move was inspired by Pret a Manger, a store that hands out 20,000 free drinks each week to customers as random acts of kindness. While rewarding polite behavior is always a good thing, it does seem the airline is already running into a bit of trouble with customers being unable to get through to the call center. Some have already expressed dismay, tweeting about how annoying the process was after being asked to private message the company on Twitter to resolve an issue — perhaps they won’t be receiving a free upgrade this week.
H/T: The Independent
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.