Facebook’s Adding New Snapchat-like Features… Again
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in December, Facebook debuted a new tech toy within its iPhone and Android Messenger app that’s finally being rolled out this week: a camera interface that’ll enable users to add special effects, masks — similar to Snapchat’s “Lenses” — and other fun filters to their photos without having to leave the app. The goal is for users to eventually be able to create their own effects that can be used exclusively on photos and videos they’re capturing directly within the Facebook app.
Another new Snapchat-like feature users will see soon, the ingeniously-named “Facebook Stories,” is a lot like “Instagram Stories” (which came out last summer), letting you create certain posts that can be viewed by other users for up to 24 hours — if that sounds familiar, it’s because they’re both almost exactly the same product as “Snapchat Stories.” There’s also an option to use “Direct” to send content privately via a Facebook message, just in case you don’t want your old camp bunkmate’s mom to see your story.
It seems Facebook founder Marc Zuckerberg and the gang are still trying to win over Snapchat’s users by creating their own form of photo and video communication, the latest move to keep these key social media platforms competitive. Whether or not users will be into these familiar features remains to be seen. Check out the video below to see more about how the new additions will work:
Featured image courtesy of Chris Cross via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.