Facebook’s Adding New Snapchat-like Features… Again
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in December, Facebook debuted a new tech toy within its iPhone and Android Messenger app that’s finally being rolled out this week: a camera interface that’ll enable users to add special effects, masks — similar to Snapchat’s “Lenses” — and other fun filters to their photos without having to leave the app. The goal is for users to eventually be able to create their own effects that can be used exclusively on photos and videos they’re capturing directly within the Facebook app.
Another new Snapchat-like feature users will see soon, the ingeniously-named “Facebook Stories,” is a lot like “Instagram Stories” (which came out last summer), letting you create certain posts that can be viewed by other users for up to 24 hours — if that sounds familiar, it’s because they’re both almost exactly the same product as “Snapchat Stories.” There’s also an option to use “Direct” to send content privately via a Facebook message, just in case you don’t want your old camp bunkmate’s mom to see your story.
It seems Facebook founder Marc Zuckerberg and the gang are still trying to win over Snapchat’s users by creating their own form of photo and video communication, the latest move to keep these key social media platforms competitive. Whether or not users will be into these familiar features remains to be seen. Check out the video below to see more about how the new additions will work:
Featured image courtesy of Chris Cross via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.