Emirates Testing New Meal Ordering Devices for Business Class
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates is known for providing a luxurious travel experience, particularly in the front of the plane. While customers thoroughly enjoy Emirates’ dining experience, with up to 76 passengers in the business-class cabin, mistakes can be made. The airline has decided to make an attempt at cutting down on errors as well as providing more efficient and personalized service through new technology.
The airline has begun testing a ‘Meal Ordering Service’ on its Dubai (DXB) – Paris (CDG), DXB – Mauritius (MRU) and DXB – Melbourne (MEL) – Auckland (AKL) routes. Flight attendants on these flights carry Samsung Galaxy A7 smartphones, which will only be able to be used to open a special meal ordering app. The phone will be connected to its own Wi-Fi router and isn’t connected to the rest of the internet, so it can be used even over countries that have restrictions on in-flight Wi-Fi usage.
When a flight attendant comes to a person’s seat, they will be able to take a passenger’s order and customize it to their liking. Instead of walking back to the galley to get the orders started, FAs can immediately send orders from the app to the galley with the objective of getting passenger orders out quicker.
Before a flight, the phones are loaded up with information on each passenger including name and seat assignment, itinerary, elite status of the passenger (if they have any), meal preferences and any other notes. While it’s been reported that Emirates is having to work out some kinks in the new system, it will be interesting to see if it sticks with its new tech after the trial period. Note that this app will only be used in business class, as the airline wants to maintain the high level of personal service it provides in first class.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees