Delta Increases Same-Day Standby and Flight Change Fees by 50%
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As of yesterday, Delta flyers will have to fork over a bit more cash if they want to change their flights on the same day or fly same-day standby. Whereas the old fees for same-day changes and same-day standby were $50 each, the new fees are going up to $75 — a 50% increase. If you booked tickets prior to March 15, 2017, these fees will be honored at the old rate, while tickets issued on or after March 15 will come with the updated fees.
Like before, Delta Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members will have their fee waived if they need to make a same-day change or fly standby. However, keep in mind that regardless of status, basic economy fares aren’t eligible for same-day changes or standby travel.
Effectively, Delta increased fees overnight without any warning for customers, which is surely not welcomed by anyone. However, the carrier is playing catch-up with American and United with this move — both AA and United already charge $75 for standby and same-day changes.
Featured image courtesy of Justin Sullivan via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.