Delta Increases Same-Day Standby and Flight Change Fees by 50%
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As of yesterday, Delta flyers will have to fork over a bit more cash if they want to change their flights on the same day or fly same-day standby. Whereas the old fees for same-day changes and same-day standby were $50 each, the new fees are going up to $75 — a 50% increase. If you booked tickets prior to March 15, 2017, these fees will be honored at the old rate, while tickets issued on or after March 15 will come with the updated fees.
Like before, Delta Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members will have their fee waived if they need to make a same-day change or fly standby. However, keep in mind that regardless of status, basic economy fares aren’t eligible for same-day changes or standby travel.
Effectively, Delta increased fees overnight without any warning for customers, which is surely not welcomed by anyone. However, the carrier is playing catch-up with American and United with this move — both AA and United already charge $75 for standby and same-day changes.
Featured image courtesy of Justin Sullivan via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.