Cruise Ship Comes Uncomfortably Close to Fort Lauderdale Home
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this week, the 122,000-ton Celebrity Equinox cruise ship drifted alarmingly close to a couple’s Fort Lauderdale home near Port Everglades. Bill and Yasmine Toddhunter filmed the ordeal, hoping the footage would compel the cruise line to ensure that something like this never happens again.
Unusually high winds and a strong current brought the ship closer to land than usual, though a spokesperson for the Port Everglades Pilots Association stated that the Equinox was always under control, despite being extremely close to the couple’s deck.
In the video above, the ship can be seen looming over the couple’s back patio. Both Mr. Toddhunter and the two dogs in the video seem to be utterly confused at the sight of an enormous ship coming so close to the shore. Both Bill and Yasmine claim that they’ve never seen a ship come this close to their property, despite living at the home for several years. Luckily, the Celebrity Equinox didn’t touch ground — or their home — though after cruising the Caribbean, the ship is scheduled to arrive back at Port Everglades. Hopefully the Toddhunters’ floating neighbor remains at bay this time.
Featured image courtesy of Celebrity Equinox’s Facebook page.
H/T: Sun Sentinel
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees