MasterCard’s New Update Will Let You Close Your Bar Tab via App
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Have you ever accidentally left your credit card at the bar after a big night out? Or waited 20 minutes just to close the tab? MasterCard is attempting to solve these problems with Open Tab, a new feature it’ll be adding to its current mobile paying service, Qkr. Starting this summer, users in the US and UK will be able to open, manage and close their bar tabs from their mobile devices.
So, how does it work? Within the app, you’ll be given be given a table number, which you’ll also give to the bartender when ordering drinks. At the end of the night, users can split up the bill, pay for a single drink or grab an entire round. It’s all pre-authorized, too, so if customers forget to settle the bill, the tab will be automatically be closed at the end of the night.
The service, similar to Venmo, will be free for users but will cost bars and restaurants a fee — the same fee they already pay to process credit cards. While this will no doubt free up some time and energy for servers and bartenders at larger bars, those running smaller bars may not see as much of a need for this type of service.
H/T: NBC Washington
Featured image courtesy of Mr. Purple’s Facebook page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.