MasterCard’s New Update Will Let You Close Your Bar Tab via App
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Have you ever accidentally left your credit card at the bar after a big night out? Or waited 20 minutes just to close the tab? MasterCard is attempting to solve these problems with Open Tab, a new feature it’ll be adding to its current mobile paying service, Qkr. Starting this summer, users in the US and UK will be able to open, manage and close their bar tabs from their mobile devices.
So, how does it work? Within the app, you’ll be given be given a table number, which you’ll also give to the bartender when ordering drinks. At the end of the night, users can split up the bill, pay for a single drink or grab an entire round. It’s all pre-authorized, too, so if customers forget to settle the bill, the tab will be automatically be closed at the end of the night.
The service, similar to Venmo, will be free for users but will cost bars and restaurants a fee — the same fee they already pay to process credit cards. While this will no doubt free up some time and energy for servers and bartenders at larger bars, those running smaller bars may not see as much of a need for this type of service.
H/T: NBC Washington
Featured image courtesy of Mr. Purple’s Facebook page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees