American Airlines Expands in Chicago, Upping Competition With United
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines announced 11 new routes from Chicago to domestic and international destinations in a move that’s aimed at making the airline more competitive with its rival United.
The carrier will be flying between Chicago (ORD) and Appleton (APW), Barcelona (BCN), Birmingham (BHM), Boise (BOI), Bozeman (BZN), Colorado Springs (COS), Greensboro (GSO), Greenville (GSP), Guatemala City (GUA), Hattiesburg (PIB) and Ontario (ONT).
American will launch its Barcelona service on May 5, flying a Boeing 787 Dreamliner on the route. Flights to Appleton, Birmingham, Boise, Colorado Springs, Greensboro, Greenville, Hattiesburg and Ontario will begin on July 5.
Flights to Bozeman will begin on June 2, and seasonal service to Guatemala City will commence on July 8.
The world’s largest airline also announced a slew of other routes that will be launching this summer, including Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Amsterdam (AMS) and Rome (FCO).
The new routes aren’t the only thing American is doing to strengthen its presence in the Windy City. The airline plans on building five new gates on the L concourse at O’Hare. It’s been more than 20 years since the airport has seen any new gates. The Admirals Club lounge between the H and K terminal is undergoing renovations, and a new Admirals Club Flagship lounge will open in the fall.
United is headquartered in Chicago and uses O’Hare as a hub airport, while American considers ORD its third-largest hub. American seems to be pushing back against United’s new efforts, as this expansion comes just two weeks after United announced seven new routes from Chicago and said it was done being a “docile competitor.”
Image courtesy of John Gress via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.