American Airlines Expands in Chicago, Upping Competition With United
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines announced 11 new routes from Chicago to domestic and international destinations in a move that’s aimed at making the airline more competitive with its rival United.
The carrier will be flying between Chicago (ORD) and Appleton (APW), Barcelona (BCN), Birmingham (BHM), Boise (BOI), Bozeman (BZN), Colorado Springs (COS), Greensboro (GSO), Greenville (GSP), Guatemala City (GUA), Hattiesburg (PIB) and Ontario (ONT).
American will launch its Barcelona service on May 5, flying a Boeing 787 Dreamliner on the route. Flights to Appleton, Birmingham, Boise, Colorado Springs, Greensboro, Greenville, Hattiesburg and Ontario will begin on July 5.
Flights to Bozeman will begin on June 2, and seasonal service to Guatemala City will commence on July 8.
The world’s largest airline also announced a slew of other routes that will be launching this summer, including Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Amsterdam (AMS) and Rome (FCO).
The new routes aren’t the only thing American is doing to strengthen its presence in the Windy City. The airline plans on building five new gates on the L concourse at O’Hare. It’s been more than 20 years since the airport has seen any new gates. The Admirals Club lounge between the H and K terminal is undergoing renovations, and a new Admirals Club Flagship lounge will open in the fall.
United is headquartered in Chicago and uses O’Hare as a hub airport, while American considers ORD its third-largest hub. American seems to be pushing back against United’s new efforts, as this expansion comes just two weeks after United announced seven new routes from Chicago and said it was done being a “docile competitor.”
Image courtesy of John Gress via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees