You’re Now Able to Purchase AA Premium Economy Seats on Select Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines introduced its first Premium Economy product last fall on its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft, which, for a little while longer, you can experience for the cost of a Main Cabin Extra seat. However, the airline officially began selling Premium Economy seats as a separate class of service as of yesterday (March 26) for flights beginning May 4.
If you decide to purchase a Premium Economy seat, you’ll be treated to a larger leather seat with 38 inches of pitch and foot rests along with larger, touchscreen IFE monitors. On the soft-product side, you can expect to receive higher-quality headphones, an amenity kit, upgraded meals with free beer, wine and spirits, a free checked bag and priority boarding (Group 4).
The new Premium Economy seats will first be available on the following routes:
- Dallas (DFW) – São Paulo (GRU) beginning May 4
- Dallas (DFW) – Madrid (MAD) beginning May 4
- Dallas (DFW) – Paris (CDG) beginning May 4
- Dallas (DFW) – Seoul (ICN) beginning May 4
- Chicago (ORD) – Paris (CDG) for travel between July 5 and August 5, 2017
Here are some examples of round-trip flights you can book in the new Premium Economy cabin — note that in many cases the Premium Economy seats are just a few hundred dollars more than a Main Cabin seat:
Chicago (ORD) to Paris (CDG) for $1,700 round-trip in Premium Economy:
This flight costs $958 round-trip in economy on the same dates.
Dallas (DFW) to Madrid (MAD) for $1,111 round-trip in Premium Economy:
This flight costs $911 round-trip in economy on the same dates.
Dallas (DFW) to Paris (CDG) for $1,976 round-trip in Premium Economy:
This flight costs $1,375 round-trip in economy on the same dates.
As of the time of this posting, you’re not able to book Premium Economy seats on the routes to South America or Asia.
Note that AAdvantage bookings for Premium Economy seats are not yet available, but American has said that both systemwide and mileage upgrades will clear from the Main Cabin or Premium Economy into business class, though they won’t be able to be used for upgrades from Main Cabin to Premium Economy for a period of time. However, a TPG team member has received an email offer to upgrade to Premium Economy for $200 on a flight between DFW and Madrid in November. Paid Premium Economy tickets will earn 1.5 EQMs per mile flown.
If you have an existing reservation in Main Cabin and would like to sit in a new Premium Economy seat, you can call AA’s reservations desk to assist you — the airline will waive the change fee associated with making a change, though you’ll still likely be paying more out-of-pocket given the prices we’re seeing for these tickets.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.