This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Late last year, Aeroplan offered members up to a 30% bonus when they transferred hotel points to the program. And it looks like that offer is back for members to take advantage of through April 17, 2017.
Like last year’s bonus, this offer is tiered, meaning it gets more lucrative as you transfer more points. You can see the exact breakdown below, but you’ll get the full 30% bonus if you transfer 200,000 hotel points or more to the Aeroplan program.
The eligible hotel points programs include Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Club Carlson, Wyndham Rewards and more. Remember that just like last year’s promotion, Aeroplan counts the cumulative number of hotel points transferred over — meaning you can transfer a small amount of points from any (or all) of the programs to meet the threshold to trigger the bonus. Note that transfers from American Express Membership Rewards aren’t valid for this offer.
Transfers from SPG represent an especially unique opportunity, as you’ll get a 5,000-Starpoint bonus for every 20,000 Starpoints you transfer. In this case, if you were to transfer 160,000 Starpoints, your Aeroplan balance would come to 200,000 miles because of the 40,000-Starpoint transfer bonus. Then, with the 30% bonus you’d be eligible for from Aeroplan, you’d have a total of 260,000 Aeroplan miles — worth $3,900 based on TPG’s most recent valuations.
Or, it could be a better option for you to take advantage of one of Marriott’s Hotel + Air packages. For example, if you redeem 500,000 Marriott Rewards points (167,000 Starpoints), you’ll get two seven-night stays at a Category 1-5 property plus 200,000 Aeroplan miles — setting you above the 200,000 threshold needed for the 30% bonus. If you have some extra hotel points that you’re looking to use and want to make an Aeroplan redemption (like Lufthansa first class), consider taking advantage before the promotion ends on April 17.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees