This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Late last year, Aeroplan offered members up to a 30% bonus when they transferred hotel points to the program. And it looks like that offer is back for members to take advantage of through April 17, 2017.
Like last year’s bonus, this offer is tiered, meaning it gets more lucrative as you transfer more points. You can see the exact breakdown below, but you’ll get the full 30% bonus if you transfer 200,000 hotel points or more to the Aeroplan program.
The eligible hotel points programs include Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Club Carlson, Wyndham Rewards and more. Remember that just like last year’s promotion, Aeroplan counts the cumulative number of hotel points transferred over — meaning you can transfer a small amount of points from any (or all) of the programs to meet the threshold to trigger the bonus. Note that transfers from American Express Membership Rewards aren’t valid for this offer.
Transfers from SPG represent an especially unique opportunity, as you’ll get a 5,000-Starpoint bonus for every 20,000 Starpoints you transfer. In this case, if you were to transfer 160,000 Starpoints, your Aeroplan balance would come to 200,000 miles because of the 40,000-Starpoint transfer bonus. Then, with the 30% bonus you’d be eligible for from Aeroplan, you’d have a total of 260,000 Aeroplan miles — worth $3,900 based on TPG’s most recent valuations.
Or, it could be a better option for you to take advantage of one of Marriott’s Hotel + Air packages. For example, if you redeem 500,000 Marriott Rewards points (167,000 Starpoints), you’ll get two seven-night stays at a Category 1-5 property plus 200,000 Aeroplan miles — setting you above the 200,000 threshold needed for the 30% bonus. If you have some extra hotel points that you’re looking to use and want to make an Aeroplan redemption (like Lufthansa first class), consider taking advantage before the promotion ends on April 17.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards