You Can Now Travel to an Eighth Continent
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Have you ever been to New Zealand? If so, you can cross both a country and a continent off your travel bucket list.
In the March/April Issue of The Geological Society of America, scientists concluded that several islands including New Zealand and New Caledonia, are not separate territories but are connected by a large swath of submerged land — an eighth continent now known as Zealandia. This piece of the earth’s continental crust is the youngest and thinnest continent on the planet, covering three million square miles, 94% of which are submerged in water.
This isn’t even the first new continent to be discovered by scientists recently; located deep in the Indian Ocean are pieces of yet another ancient supercontinent deemed Mauritia. In this case, the entire continent, situated underneath the African island of Mauritius, is underwater — making it considerably harder for travelers to visit.
Featured image courtesy of Matteo Colombo via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.