China’s Planning to Combat Air Pollution With Giant Vertical Forests
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
China is notorious for extremely high levels of pollution in most of its major cities — but it has a plan to begin tackling the issue. One component involves the construction of the recently unveiled Nanjing Green Towers, two ‘vertical forests’ that will work to cut down on greenhouse gas emissions in the Pukou District of Nanjing. China has been dealing with a dangerous smog problem stemming from its coal plants, factories and traffic that have left many cities under a blanket of dirty air.
These verdant towers, cloaked in lush greenery, will soak up to 25 tons of CO2 annually while also producing nearly 60 kilograms of oxygen daily. Designed by Italian architect Stefano Boeri, one of the towers will house a Hyatt hotel that’ll feature a rooftop swimming pool, while the other will be home to offices, a museum, a ‘green’ architecture school and a private rooftop club.
Together, the two towers will feature more than 1,000 trees and 2,500 plants which will work to filter smog-ridden air by soaking up urban air pollution. The buildings are expected to be completed in 2018 but Boeri’s team is already looking towards the future with planned projects in Shijiazhuang, Liuzhou, Guizhou, Shanghai and Chongqing.
Vertical gardens are not unique to China — they’ve been popping up in many cities around the world including Milan, Italy; Lausanne, Switzerland; as well as one spotted by our Editorial Director in Madrid, Spain (below).
As a reminder, if you’re planning to visit China (or any other country that requires a visa), TPG recommends using a third-party service like Allied Passport & Visa to simplify what can be a complex process. Mention The Points Guy on your order form to get a $5 discount just for TPG readers.
Featured image courtesy of Stefano Boeri’s Facebook page.
H/T: The Telegraph
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.