China’s Planning to Combat Air Pollution With Giant Vertical Forests
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
China is notorious for extremely high levels of pollution in most of its major cities — but it has a plan to begin tackling the issue. One component involves the construction of the recently unveiled Nanjing Green Towers, two ‘vertical forests’ that will work to cut down on greenhouse gas emissions in the Pukou District of Nanjing. China has been dealing with a dangerous smog problem stemming from its coal plants, factories and traffic that have left many cities under a blanket of dirty air.
These verdant towers, cloaked in lush greenery, will soak up to 25 tons of CO2 annually while also producing nearly 60 kilograms of oxygen daily. Designed by Italian architect Stefano Boeri, one of the towers will house a Hyatt hotel that’ll feature a rooftop swimming pool, while the other will be home to offices, a museum, a ‘green’ architecture school and a private rooftop club.
Together, the two towers will feature more than 1,000 trees and 2,500 plants which will work to filter smog-ridden air by soaking up urban air pollution. The buildings are expected to be completed in 2018 but Boeri’s team is already looking towards the future with planned projects in Shijiazhuang, Liuzhou, Guizhou, Shanghai and Chongqing.
Vertical gardens are not unique to China — they’ve been popping up in many cities around the world including Milan, Italy; Lausanne, Switzerland; as well as one spotted by our Editorial Director in Madrid, Spain (below).
As a reminder, if you’re planning to visit China (or any other country that requires a visa), TPG recommends using a third-party service like Allied Passport & Visa to simplify what can be a complex process. Mention The Points Guy on your order form to get a $5 discount just for TPG readers.
Featured image courtesy of Stefano Boeri’s Facebook page.
H/T: The Telegraph
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees