Valentine’s Day Special: 100% Bonus When You Buy IHG Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – View the current offers here.
Earning points and miles via the traditional method (actually staying in hotels or flying) is just one way to boost your account balance. Fortunately, travel providers make it relatively easy to accrue rewards without traveling, whether through top credit card offers or by utilizing shopping portals and dining rewards programs. While buying points from a hotel is usually not a good deal, there are some times when a buy points promotion can be compelling.
IHG is showing us some love for Valentine’s Day, offering to double your points purchase for the next four days. Now through February 17, get a 100% bonus when you buy or gift at least 5,000 IHG points. Thankfully, this offer doesn’t seem to be targeted — unlike a recent bonus promotion. The best rate starts when you buy at least 26,000 points, when you’ll pay just 0.575 cents per IHG point.
Here are the purchase pricing tiers for this promotion:
- Buy 1,000-4,000 points: no bonus (1.35 cents per point)
- Buy 5,000-10,000 points: 100% bonus (effectively 0.675 cents per point)
- Buy 11,000-23,000 points: 100% bonus (effectively 0.625 cents per point)
- Buy 26,000-60,000 points: 100% bonus (effectively 0.575 cents per point)
Here’s how to take advantage of the promotion:
- Visit IHG’s Buy Points link.
- Enter your name, IHG number, PIN and email address to log in to Points.com.
- Select the number of points you want to purchase.
- Enter your credit card information and billing address and click Continue.
- Confirm the details, check the box to agree to the Terms and Conditions and click Pay Now.
Keep in mind that the usual restrictions for purchasing IHG Rewards points apply to these transactions, including:
- You can purchase points in increments of 1,000 points up to a maximum of 60,000 points per transaction/calendar year (you can also receive an additional 60,000 points per calendar year).
- The points will post within 24-48 hours and do not count toward earning elite status.
Note that the purchase is processed by Points.com, so you won’t get any travel category bonuses from this purchase. Make sure to use the best non-bonus category credit card for your situation. Based on TPG’s point and mile valuations, the Chase Freedom Unlimited’s 1.5% cash back would be the most rewarding choice.
Is It Worth It?
It depends. As of the most-recent valuation, TPG pegs IHG points at 0.7 cents apiece. If you buy at least 26,000 points with this promo, you’ll be paying just 0.575 cents per point. This means you’re paying nearly 20% less than the TPG value for these points. That said, IHG just went through a massive 650-hotel category change, which saw the increase in award prices at most of the affected hotels. So, IHG points aren’t going to be as valuable as they used to be at certain properties.
That said, there’s still tons of value in IHG points if you’re redeeming for top-tier hotels or bargain-bin PointBreaks hotels. At the PointBreaks hotels still available, you’ll pay less than $29 per night for a hotel room when purchasing points at this special 0.575 cent rate. The current list of hotels has been available for booking over the last two weeks, and high-value offerings like the InterContinental Maracaibo are still available at just 5,000 points per night.
Thanks to the recent set of category changes, a 100% bonus on IHG points now isn’t as great as it was last fall. However, this bonus still provides a solid rate for purchasing IHG points. While we don’t recommend speculatively buying points, this is a compelling rate for buying points if you’ve got a use for them in the next few months.
Will you be taking advantage of this bonus offer?
Featured image courtesy of the InterContinental New Orleans.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees