US Airlines Had a Record Year in 2016 — in a Good Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Believe it or not, 2016 was a good year to travel in the US. The Department of Transportation released its findings for US airlines from the year, and the results show that there were fewer cancellations, mishandled bags and passenger bumps than in the year prior.
In fact, 2016 was such a good year for US airlines that there was the fewest amount of canceled domestic flights since the DOT began recording data. Reporting carriers canceled 1.17% of their scheduled domestic flights, which was down from 1.5% in 2015.
But the good news didn’t only come from the number of canceled flights. US airlines also improved in the rate of mishandled baggage (down from 3.13 per 1,000 passengers in 2015 to 2.70) and bumping rate (down from 0.73 per 10,000 passengers in 2015 to 0.62).
The consumer report released by the DOT also included data on on-time performance. In all, based on data from the entire year, here’s (PDF) how the 12 reporting US carriers fared in 2016 for on-time arrivals:
1. Hawaiian Airlines — 91.1% of flights on time
2. Alaska Airlines — 87.3%
3. Delta Air Lines — 86.5%
4. SkyWest Airlines — 82.3%
5. United Airlines — 81.7%
6. Southwest Airlines — 80.8%
7. ExpressJet Airlines — 79.8%
8. American Airlines — 79.4%
9. Virgin America — 76.2%
10. Frontier Airlines — 76.0%
11. JetBlue Airways — 75.0%
12. Spirit Airlines — 74.3%
Hawaiian was the clear winner for the year in on-time performance, with Spirit bringing up the rear, coming in 16.8 percentage points behind the top spot. The DOT considers a flight to be on time if it lands less than 15 minutes after the scheduled arrival time.
To read the full findings of the DOT’s report, including incidents involving animals and complaints about discrimination, go to the agency’s website. In all, the findings were generally positive — a nice change for flyers who are constantly made aware of US carriers’ sub-par offerings. We can only hope the US carriers continue to improve in their performance for 2017 — we’re especially looking at you, Spirit!
Featured image courtesy of Greg Bajor via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees