This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is a big week for United — the airline’s brand new 777-300ER (77W) will begin flying paying passengers on Thursday, with regular transcon service between Newark and San Francisco. Then, on March 25, the 77W will begin international service, launching first on United’s nonstop from San Francisco to Hong Kong.
In the meantime, though, the airline has an extra plane at its disposal, and now we know how it’ll be used. Between February 22 and March 8, United will operate a second flight between Newark and San Francisco — every day except Tuesdays and Sundays.
Here are the two EWR-SFO flights you can book during that period:
And here are the flights from SFO:
There isn’t any Saver award space for Polaris business class, unfortunately, though there’s plenty for coach. Business-class fares start at just over $2,000 round-trip.
The 77W has 60 lie-flat Polaris business-class seats in a 1-2-1 configuration, 102 Economy Plus seats in a 3-4-3 configuration and 204 regular coach seats, also in 3-4-3. Given that most of United’s other 777s have economy seats arranged in 3-3-3, it’s definitely a tighter squeeze in coach, so keep that in mind before booking an economy seat on this plane. This is United’s best premium cabin in the fleet, though, so if you can snag a seat in biz, you’ll be in for a treat.
TPG and I are joining a special preview flight today, so stay tuned for lots of photos on the site and — connection permitting — a Facebook Live tour from the plane. You can also follow along on TPG’s Instagram and Twitter accounts (and my own Instagram and Twitter) throughout the afternoon and evening.
Have you booked a flight on United’s 77W?
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees