United’s Adding More Domestic 777-300ER Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is a big week for United — the airline’s brand new 777-300ER (77W) will begin flying paying passengers on Thursday, with regular transcon service between Newark and San Francisco. Then, on March 25, the 77W will begin international service, launching first on United’s nonstop from San Francisco to Hong Kong.
In the meantime, though, the airline has an extra plane at its disposal, and now we know how it’ll be used. Between February 22 and March 8, United will operate a second flight between Newark and San Francisco — every day except Tuesdays and Sundays.
Here are the two EWR-SFO flights you can book during that period:
And here are the flights from SFO:
There isn’t any Saver award space for Polaris business class, unfortunately, though there’s plenty for coach. Business-class fares start at just over $2,000 round-trip.
The 77W has 60 lie-flat Polaris business-class seats in a 1-2-1 configuration, 102 Economy Plus seats in a 3-4-3 configuration and 204 regular coach seats, also in 3-4-3. Given that most of United’s other 777s have economy seats arranged in 3-3-3, it’s definitely a tighter squeeze in coach, so keep that in mind before booking an economy seat on this plane. This is United’s best premium cabin in the fleet, though, so if you can snag a seat in biz, you’ll be in for a treat.
TPG and I are joining a special preview flight today, so stay tuned for lots of photos on the site and — connection permitting — a Facebook Live tour from the plane. You can also follow along on TPG’s Instagram and Twitter accounts (and my own Instagram and Twitter) throughout the afternoon and evening.
Have you booked a flight on United’s 77W?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.