Brussels’ Newest Attraction Is an Underwater Restaurant
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This might be the restaurant industry’s ultimate gimmick to attract diners. We’ve seen everything from an underwater restaurant in the Maldives and a robot restaurant in Tokyo, but this could very well be the first place that you actually have to dive to to eat your meal.
“The Pearl” opened recently inside Brussels’ NEMO33 diving center. The restaurant is a single sphere that rests five meters (about 16 feet) below the pool’s surface. It’s an exclusive dining experience, with seats for just four people and it’s intimate, too, being only two meters (about 6.5 feet) wide. The watertight pod is tied down to the pool’s floor and its many windows gives diners 360-degree views… of the indoor pool…
Dining here costs €99 per person and requires you to have prior diving experience. If you’ve never been diving, NEMO33 offers an introductory lesson before the meal. Once you’re in the pod, expert divers will deliver your meal in watertight containers. A sample menu included items like lobster salad, foie gras and Champagne.
The structure took more than a year to build and was designed by NEMO33 founder John Beernaerts, who described his… interesting vision for the concept: “It’s a bit like going back to a foetal state, like in a cocoon,” he told a UK newspaper. “And you can talk, discuss, exchange – but all of this in a muffled atmosphere that sort of looks like our very early days.”
NEMO33 also features one of the world’s largest diving pools — measuring in at 34.5 meters (about 113 feet) deep. If you don’t want to dive for your meal but still want an ‘underwater’ dining experience, you can have a meal at the center’s Thai restaurant located adjacent to the deeper pool which features several windows that allow diners to peer in to the water next to them while staying totally dry.
H/T: Lonely Planet
Featured image courtesy of NEMO33.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.