Guitarist Matthew Followill from Kings of Leon Shares His Best and Worst Travel Memories
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Grammy award-winning group Kings of Leon is back on the road again, touring behind their seventh album, Walls. Here, lead guitarist Matthew Followill reveals his favorite hotel in Austin and why it’s always a bad idea to overpack.
What’s the best trip you’ve ever taken?
I’ve experienced some really memorable stuff since the beginning of our career. But I would have to say that the best experience was when we did the Big Day Out festival in Australia. It was amazing, a traveling festival and we didn’t play during the week but on the weekends. We stayed in Australia for an entire month touring with Metallica, The Strokes and The Dandy Warhols, among other bands. That trip was the most fun I ever had in my life. I would recommend that everyone visits Australia. The people are amazing and it’s just so beautiful there. Australia is the ultimate destination.
Got any travel horror stories?
Being stuck in delays. When you travel as much as we do, you’re going to experience your share of delays. And there is nothing worse than when things get lost. You travel this much, stuff is going to get lost. It’s inevitable.
What’s your favorite hotel?
We love staying at the Hotel Saint Cecilia in Austin, which is a cool boutique hotel. There are some cool hotels in Australia, too. Our lives are spent in hotels, and the good ones are so comfortable now, they’re like home.
What is the one thing you can’t travel without?
Guitars. Even when I’m on a vacation from this band, I don’t want to ever be too far from a guitar.
Q: What do you do with your myriad of points?
Our management takes them and books flights with them, from what I understand. I need to talk to them about this and say, ‘What do you do with my points? They’re valuable!’
Do you have any good packing tips?
I always overpack and have too much stuff in my suitcase. I always bring too many shirts. Don’t do as I do. It’s a bad idea to overpack. You never want to be weighed down by stuff.
Favorite place for a weekend getaway?
I like to go anywhere that’s not too far from home. Right now, as we speak, we’re going to be away for three weeks [touring].
Red-eye or daytime flight?
I like to fly at night. I can go to sleep and be refreshed when I arrive.
What’s the longest flight you’ve ever taken?
We took an eight-hour flight from, I think it was London, but when we landed, we had to run to the next flight that was so many more hours to Australia. That was the worst. I was having a nervous breakdown. It wasn’t easy to deal with even though we were heading to Australia, which I love.
How significant is it that Kings of Leon is completely comprised of family members?
I think that’s a huge thing. We can never tick each other off too badly. No matter how upset someone is, they’ll stay with the band. We’re all very close and we love playing and recording together. What we’ve done over the last 15 years is amazing. The cool thing is that we’ll be doing this for many more years.
Featured image courtesy of Matthew Eisman via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.