Tip: Use Your British Airways Avios Record Locator on American’s Website
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Even though the super low 4,500-mile award band for short flights no longer applies to US routes, there are still plenty of ways to get great value from British Airways Avios. In fact, thanks to American recoding its domestic fare buckets, Avios awards are now 50% cheaper than before for most AA first-class flights in the US.
But once you’ve redeemed for an American award on the British Airways website, how do you find your booking on AA’s website? Since British Airways and American use different record locators, it used to be a real pain to track down the separate AA record locator in order to pull up the itinerary and choose seats.
Fortunately, American has now made this much easier, as you can simply use your BA record locator directly on aa.com. Make sure you’re not logged in, look for the “My trips/Check-in” tab on the home page and enter the passenger’s name and the BA record locator.
From here, click on “Find reservation” and American will retrieve your Avios booking, except it’ll now show the AA record locator at the top.
While you can find the record locator again this way in the future, it’s probably be a good idea to make a note of it in case you need it quickly for some reason at the airport or during your travels.
Also, when you first make the Avios booking, make sure to remove your Executive Club membership number from the reservation. It will auto-populate, but if you delete it and leave that field blank, you should be able to add your AAdvantage number instead on aa.com. This means you’ll get benefits if you have American elite status — at least the perks you can expect on an award ticket — or a free checked bag if you have the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard or the CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard.
The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card and CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
But don’t fret if you accidentally left your Avios number in the reservation. You can call American with the AA record locator and they’ll be happy to change it to your AAdvantage number for you.
Featured image courtesy of ADRIAN DENNIS via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.