This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Swiss offers a fantastic first-class product, especially on its new 777-300ERs, so naturally booking a “free” flight with miles is something you’d want to do. And today seems like the perfect occasion to do just that — pretty much every single Swiss-operated flight has award space open in the first-class cabin, at least when you search on United.com. The problem is, it’s what we call “phantom space” — while it does appear on United’s site, it isn’t really there.
Search any route and date and you’ll probably see results that match those below, with first-class awards wide open (but limited business and economy, perhaps).
You can click to book, enter passengers’ names and even add your credit card info, however after a few seconds, you’ll see the page below, directing you to contact United.com support.
So that’s exactly what I did. And the friendly agent on the other end confirmed that this isn’t “real” space — even though it appears on United’s website.
If you don’t want to call, the easiest way to confirm this is by searching on Aeroplan’s website — as you can see below, there’s award space in business class, but not in first (which makes sense, given that Swiss first is typically only available to Miles & More elite members).
While it might be fun to click around and dream about spending a day in one of the best first-class products you can(‘t) book, you’ll probably end up wasting an awful lot of time — all the routes and flights I tried resulted in an error message.
Now while you can’t actually book this Swiss space, you can use your United miles to book a comparable first-class product, on Lufthansa’s A330s, A340s, A380s or 747-8s. Those awards typically don’t become available until 15 days before departure, but if you see one on United.com, most of the time it’s actually available to book.
Have you successfully used your United miles to book Swiss first class?
H/T: View from the Wing
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that