This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A man walks into a travel agency and tells the agent, “I’d like to visit Scotland and Denmark on the same trip.” When the agent politely explains to the man that he has not allotted himself enough time to visit both countries on this particular trip, he replies: “But they’re only an inch apart on the map!”
No, it’s not the punch line to a bad joke. It’s an actual conversation that took place with a member of the American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA). And as the ASTA recently revealed, that’s not the most ridiculous thing travel agents have ever been asked. While the list of outrageous queries was certainly intended to provide readers with a few chuckles, it also, according to ASTA president and CEO Zane Kerby, serves as proof of the necessity of travel professionals like the ones who make up the organization’s membership — based on their questions, it seems as if some travelers would have trouble pointing to Hawaii on a map. Here are a few of our favorites:
“Do they speak English in Britain?”
“Can you set it up so that the whales jump in the background at the same time I’m proposing to my girlfriend?”
“Can we drive our rental car in Hawaii out of state? We want to go to Alaska. After all, they are the 49th and 50th states on the map… so there must be a bridge, right?”
“Will you watch my pet while I’m away?”
“Can you make sure I don’t get a window seat on the plane because I just had my hair done?”
Click here to see the full list of strange requests. And remember: There is such a thing as a dumb question.
Featured image courtesy of Brigitte Sporrer via Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees