Travel Agents Share the Most Unusual Questions They’ve Ever Been Asked
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A man walks into a travel agency and tells the agent, “I’d like to visit Scotland and Denmark on the same trip.” When the agent politely explains to the man that he has not allotted himself enough time to visit both countries on this particular trip, he replies: “But they’re only an inch apart on the map!”
No, it’s not the punch line to a bad joke. It’s an actual conversation that took place with a member of the American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA). And as the ASTA recently revealed, that’s not the most ridiculous thing travel agents have ever been asked. While the list of outrageous queries was certainly intended to provide readers with a few chuckles, it also, according to ASTA president and CEO Zane Kerby, serves as proof of the necessity of travel professionals like the ones who make up the organization’s membership — based on their questions, it seems as if some travelers would have trouble pointing to Hawaii on a map. Here are a few of our favorites:
“Do they speak English in Britain?”
“Can you set it up so that the whales jump in the background at the same time I’m proposing to my girlfriend?”
“Can we drive our rental car in Hawaii out of state? We want to go to Alaska. After all, they are the 49th and 50th states on the map… so there must be a bridge, right?”
“Will you watch my pet while I’m away?”
“Can you make sure I don’t get a window seat on the plane because I just had my hair done?”
Click here to see the full list of strange requests. And remember: There is such a thing as a dumb question.
Featured image courtesy of Brigitte Sporrer via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees