Incredible Overwater Villas Near Home, 8 Outrageous Resort Fees, New Delta Economy Amenities and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week:
Following a successful trial of complimentary meals for coach passengers on select transcon flights, Delta will make the move permanent on March 1. Coach passengers will be able to choose from three different meal options on flights between New York (JFK) and California (LAX and SFO).
Resort fees are an unfortunate reality in the hotel industry today, as they can add hundreds of dollars to your total hotel bill. We’ve rounded up eight of the worst offenders — and not all of them are even true resort properties!
Good news for East Coasters wanting to fly on Lufthansa’s brand-new A350 — the airline will soon put the new aircraft on its Boston (BOS) to Munich (MUC) route. You can expect to see it in Boston beginning March 14.
Typically, you’d have to travel across the world to stay in an ultra-luxe overwater villa, but not anymore! The Sandals Royal Caribbean resort in Montego Bay, Jamaica recently opened five of these incredible bungalows that come decked out with hammocks, private plunge pools, see-through floors and more.
Read about one TPG contributor’s recent experience flying Delta One between Atlanta and Lima, Peru on board the airline’s Boeing 767-400ER aircraft.
Pending DOT approval, Norwegian plans to launch more long-haul service from the US, including flights between Seattle (SEA) and London.
13-year old Danielle Bregoli made herself (in)famous for her threats to fight an entire Dr. Phil audience, followed by her meme-worthy catchphrase “Cash me ousside… how bow dah?” She and her mother were in the news again this week for getting involved in a physical altercation with another passenger on a Spirit Airlines flight. As a result, the two were kicked off the flight and subsequently banned from Spirit for life.
In other news…
Check If You’re Targeted for Starwood’s Member Exclusive Promo
Starwood’s currently running a new Member Exclusive promotion which is available for some, but not all, members. If you qualify for the offer, it’s likely you’ve received an email saying so. But if not, you can check to see if you qualify by entering your SPG number here.
Credit Card Breach Confirmed at Several IHG Properties
12 IHG properties have been affected by a recent credit card breach due to malware being installed on servers that processed credit card payments at bars and restaurants at the hotels. The breach cut across several of the chain’s brands, including the Kimpton, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, EVEN, Holiday Inn, Staybridge Suites and Candlewood Suites brands.
China Southern to Launch Flights Between Guangzhou and Mexico City via Vancouver
Starting April 10, China Southern will fly three times weekly between its hub in Guangzhou (CAN) and Mexico City (MEX). The flight will operate with a stop in Vancouver (YVR) each way, but as of now you’re not able to book a ticket between YVR and MEX on China Southern due to the fact that the airline doesn’t have the rights to fly local traffic between the two nations.
Featured image courtesy of Sandals Royal Caribbean resort.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.