Reservations Are Now Required to See Sunrise From the Top of Mt. Haleakalā in Hawaii
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The ability to be spontaneous is one of the great pleasures of being on vacation. Sure, it’s fine to have an itinerary, but leaving enough flexibility that allows for an impromptu trip to, say, watch a breathtaking sunrise is what makes for some of the best memories. But if you happen to be visiting the Hawaiian island of Maui and decide you want to see the sun rise from the top of Haleakalā National Park’s famous volcanic crater, you’re going to need to plan ahead.
As of February 1, 2017, visitors wishing to watch the park’s iconic sunrise from the Haleakalā Visitor Center, which sits at an elevation of more than 9,700 feet, need to make reservations ahead of time, at the cost of $1.50 per car. While it may seem like an arbitrary rule or a quick way to add some additional cash to the park’s coffers, the reasoning behind the move, according to an article by The Telegraph, was safety-driven. More people have caught on to the park’s magical early-morning vistas, traffic has increased, and as a result, so have the number of car accidents, not to mention regular traffic jams and damage to the drive-up volcano’s vegetation.
Fortunately, the process is very simple. Sunrise-seekers simply need to visit Recreation.gov, where for $1.50 per car, they can reserve a spot at the summit for sunrise viewing up to 60 days ahead of time. Be sure to make your reservations as soon as possible, as spots tend to fill up fast, though a few more will generally be made available about 24 hours ahead of time. The sunrise fee is separate from the $20 entrance fee the park already charges — you’ll pay that upon arrival the day of your visit regardless of what time you go. All you have to do is hope that Mother Nature is on your side: there are no refunds or exchanges, regardless of what kind of weather the morning brings.
H/T: The Telegraph
Featured image courtesy of Visions of America/UIG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees