This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes every month. Today, I’ll share just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (like schedules and aircraft, among other things) may change based on your travel dates.
NEW ROUTES LAUNCHED IN FEBRUARY 2017
ANA Launches its Longest Route from Tokyo (NRT) to Mexico City (MEX) (launched February 15)
Details — ANA launched its longest route this month, with new service from Tokyo (NRT) to Mexico City (MEX). Operations commenced on February 15 and the airline will be flying its 787 on the journey. Aeromexico is the only other carrier to offer nonstop service on this route.
- ANA180 Tokyo (NRT) 4:40pm Departure ⇒ Mexico City (MEX) 1:55pm Arrival
- ANA179 Mexico City (MEX) 1:00am Departure ⇒ Tokyo (NRT) 6:35am (+1) Arrival
San Francisco (SFO) – Tampa (TPA) on United Airlines (launched February 16)
Details — United Airlines introduced nonstop service from San Francisco (SFO) to Tampa (TPA), becoming the only airline to fly between the two cities without a connection. The carrier will operate a 737-800 on the 5+ hour “Bay-to-Bay” flight (though we’re also seeing A320s on the schedule on select dates).
- UAL647 San Francisco (SFO) 12:55pm Departure ⇒ Tampa (TPA) 9:00pm Arrival
- UAL1120 Tampa (TPA) 8:30am Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 11:24am Arrival
Volaris Launches Two New Mexico – US Routes (launched February 1)
Details — On February 1, Mexican low cost-carrier Volaris commenced operations for two new routes from Miami (MIA) to Guadalajara (GDL) and Mexico City (MEX). Volaris will fly an A320 from Guadalajara 4 times a week and from Mexico City daily.
Schedule (Daily for MEX, 4x per week for GDL)
- VOI995 Miami (MIA) 7:51pm Departure ⇒ Mexico City (MEX) 10:19pm Arrival
- VOI994 Mexico City (MEX) 2:44pm Departure ⇒ Miami (MIA) 6:54pm Arrival
- VOI996 Miami (MIA) 1:42pm Departure ⇒ Guadalajara (GDL) 4:37pm Arrival
- VOI997 Guadalajara (GDL) 7:50am Departure ⇒ Miami (MIA) 12:27pm Arrival
Southwest Expands in Oakland (OAK) With Two More International Flights (launched February 12)
Details — Southwest added two flights from Oakland (OAK) to Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos (SJD) and Puerto Vallarta (PVR) this month, making it the only airline with nonstop service on these particular routes. The carrier will fly one of its many 737s on the daily flights to Mexico.
- SWA124 Oakland (OAK) 10:10am Departure ⇒ Puerto Vallarta (PVR) 2:45pm Arrival
- SWA125 Puerto Vallarta (PVR) 3:40pm Departure ⇒ Oakland (OAK) 6:30pm Arrival
- SWA902 Oakland (OAK) 9:50am Departure ⇒ Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos (SJD) 12:55pm Arrival
- SWA903 Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos (SJD) 1:50pm Departure ⇒ Oakland (OAK) 5:10pm Arrival
Doha (DOH) – Auckland (AKL) on Qatar Becomes World’s Longest Flight (launched February 5)
Details — Qatar Airways now holds the record for the world’s longest commercial flight (by time) from Doha (DOH) to Auckland (AKL). The Doha to Auckland leg will have you in the air for just over 16 hours, and the return journey clocks in at 17.5 hours. The airline operates a 777-200LR on the route with 42 lie-flat seats and 217 seats in economy.
- QTR920 Doha (DOH) 2:50am Departure ⇒ Auckland (AKL) 5:00am (+1) Arrival
- QTR921 Auckland (AKL) 2:40pm Departure ⇒ Doha (DOH) 10:10pm Arrival
NEW ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN FEBRUARY 2017
Air Canada, Air India and WOW Air Add Flights to Tel Aviv
Details — A slew of carriers are adding service to Tel Aviv over the coming months. The US will get its first low-cost carrier connection to Israel, as WOW Air plans six weekly flights from Reykjavik (KEF) to Tel Aviv (TLV) starting in June. On June 22, Air Canada will launch seasonal bi-weekly flights from Montreal (YUL) to Tel Aviv (TLV) on its A330s. The airline will also expand service from Toronto (YYZ) to Tel Aviv (TLV) with flights now operating year-round instead of seasonally.
Air India also plans on launching 787 Dreamliner service from Mumbai (BOM) to Tel Aviv (TLV) later this year. Wow Air and Air India have not yet released schedules for their new flights.
Schedule (2x a week):
- ACA82 Montreal (YUL) 6:35pm Departure ⇒ Tel Aviv (TLV) 12:15pm (+1) Arrival
- ACA83 Tel Aviv (TLV) 1:55pm Departure ⇒ Montreal (YUL) 6:20pm Arrival
Aer Lingus to Launch Flights From Dublin (DUB) to Las Vegas (LAS)
Details — Irish carrier Aer Lingus plans on launching long-haul service from Dublin to Las Vegas starting next winter. The service will reportedly be seasonal (so travelers can escape the cold Irish winters) and operate 2-3 times a week, though the schedule has yet to be released.
Air France Announces Flights From Paris (CDG) to the Maldives (MLE)
Details — Starting November 2, Air France will begin year-round nonstop service from Paris (CDG) to Malé (MLE) in the Maldives. Flights depart on Wednesday and Sunday from Paris and the French carrier will operate a Boeing 777-200 on the route. Flights are already bookable, so there’s now another option for getting to the Maldives on points and miles (Air France’s Flying Blue Program is a transfer partner of Chase Ultimate Rewards, among other programs).
Schedule (2x per week)
- AFR222 Paris (CDG) 8:50pm Departure ⇒ Malé (MLE) 10:20am (+1) Arrival
- AFR223 Malé (MLE) 1:05pm Departure ⇒ Paris (CDG) 7:35pm Arrival
AirAsiaX Becomes First Low-Cost Carrier to Provide Service Between Asia and the US
Details — AirAsia X will become the first low-cost carrier to serve Asia from the US. The airline will fly from Honolulu (HNL) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) via Osaka (KIX) beginning June 28. Flights will operate four days a week on the carrier’s A330.
Schedule (4x per week)
- XAX2 Honolulu (HNL) 4:00pm Departure ⇒ Osaka (KIX) 8:25pm (+1) Arrival
- XAX1 Osaka (KIX) 11:25pm Departure ⇒ Honolulu (HNL) 12:30pm Arrival
- XAX2 Osaka (KIX) 10:00pm Departure ⇒ Kuala Lumpur (KUL) 4:00am (+1) Arrival
- XAX1 Kuala Lumpur (KUL) 2:00pm Departure ⇒ Osaka (KIX) 9:25pm Arrival
United to Add Flights From San Francisco (SFO) to Munich (MUC)
Details — United Airlines will add daily seasonal service from its hub in San Francisco (SFO) to Munich (MUC) starting May 24. The airline will fly a 787-8 nonstop on the new summer route through September 3.
Schedule (4x per week)
- UAL194 San Francisco (SFO) 2:05pm Departure ⇒ Munich (MUC) 10:25am (+1) Arrival
- UAL195 Munich (MUC) 12:10pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 2:50pm Arrival
Which of these new routes are you most excited about?
Featured image of Tokyo courtesy of visualspace via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards