More IT Issues Delaying United Flights Today
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, IT issues caused a nationwide ground stop at United, resulting in numerous flight delays and cancellations. Unfortunately it looks like “the system” has decided to strike yet again, although the issue isn’t nearly as severe this time around.
In a call with United this morning, an airline representative clarified that the issue is specifically affecting the creation of flight plans, and has resulted in a relatively small number of delays (but no cancellations). The issue is systemwide, however there are no outages or ground stops to report. United is working as quickly as it can to resolve the issue, but there’s no estimate to provide.
Because latency is to blame rather than downtime, flights continue to operate, though delays (and perhaps even some cancellations) are inevitable. With a big winter storm on its way to the Northeast, the timing’s less than ideal here, given that many passengers are likely changing their plans to get ahead of the weather.
United has yet to publish a fee waiver to cover changes related to today’s issues, but that’ll likely come later in the day. If your flight has already been canceled or delayed, you can call UA now to request reaccommodation. Also, note that while the airline won’t provide hotels or meal vouchers when delays are caused by weather, you are entitled to compensation when flights are impacted by IT issues, as they are today.
As always, be sure to check your flight status before you head to the airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.