More IT Issues Delaying United Flights Today
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, IT issues caused a nationwide ground stop at United, resulting in numerous flight delays and cancellations. Unfortunately it looks like “the system” has decided to strike yet again, although the issue isn’t nearly as severe this time around.
In a call with United this morning, an airline representative clarified that the issue is specifically affecting the creation of flight plans, and has resulted in a relatively small number of delays (but no cancellations). The issue is systemwide, however there are no outages or ground stops to report. United is working as quickly as it can to resolve the issue, but there’s no estimate to provide.
Because latency is to blame rather than downtime, flights continue to operate, though delays (and perhaps even some cancellations) are inevitable. With a big winter storm on its way to the Northeast, the timing’s less than ideal here, given that many passengers are likely changing their plans to get ahead of the weather.
United has yet to publish a fee waiver to cover changes related to today’s issues, but that’ll likely come later in the day. If your flight has already been canceled or delayed, you can call UA now to request reaccommodation. Also, note that while the airline won’t provide hotels or meal vouchers when delays are caused by weather, you are entitled to compensation when flights are impacted by IT issues, as they are today.
As always, be sure to check your flight status before you head to the airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees