This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Frequent travelers are used to dissing the TSA. From unfriendly agents to long lines, there’s a lot to be frustrated with. But, aside from keeping us safe, it’s important to remember that it does a lot of good, too.
Last week, TSA officials at LaGuardia (LGA) donated more than 10 bags and two boxes of clothes to the Brooklyn Vet Center. In total, more than 400 articles of clothing were distributed to homeless veterans in Brooklyn.
Once an item is left behind at a TSA checkpoint, the owner has 30 days to contact the Lost and Found office to reclaim it. After that, and because of the Clothe a Homeless Hero Act (PDF), the TSA can reach out to donate the item(s) to local charity — in this case the Brooklyn Vet Center.
According to the Clothe a Homeless Hero Act, all clothing recovered at airport security is to be donated to local veterans organizations and other local charitable organizations.
Especially during New York’s cold winter months, the coats, hats, scarves, gloves and other articles that passengers left behind at security checkpoints were welcome donations. Of course, this isn’t the first time that the TSA has donated clothes that were left behind at its checkpoints, as the Clothe a Homeless Hero Act was first approved by the House in 2012.
If you’ve left something behind at airport security, visit the TSA website and enter your airport for contact and collection information. If left behind for too long, though, know that your items could be going to a good cause.
Featured image courtesy of Justin Sullivan via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees