Here’s How NYC is Handling the LGA Gridlock Mess This Holiday Weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Anyone who’s traveled to, from or through New York’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA) since August knows about the threat of intense gridlock traffic. While the problem started last summer, the issue recently resurfaced when people were seen walking down the Grand Central Parkway, weaving through stopped cars just to catch their flights.
With more than 300,000 travelers expected to travel through LGA this President’s Day weekend, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is implementing plans to help the city avoid another gridlock disaster. Here’s what’s being planned:
- Free Q70 select bus service from now through next Tuesday, February 21. The Q70 connects LGA to the NYC subway network in Jackson Heights (E, F, M, R and 7 lines) and Woodside (7 line and connections to the Long Island Rail Road).
- Discounted parking in the long-term lot, where now through May 31, 2017, it’ll cost $18 per day instead of the usual $39 per day. Note that you should enter the lot via the LGA Airport entrance at the 82nd St. bridge — not the one at the 94th St. bridge.
- The taxi stand in Terminal B will be relocated to the west end.
- NYC Airporter buses will drop off and pick up passengers from the outer roadways instead of the west end of the terminal.
As always, the cell phone lot (P5) will be free for passenger pick-up for the first three hours. In addition, ride-sharing services like Uber and Lyft will continue to pick up passengers at the Arrivals level of a given terminal.
LaGuardia’s current traffic jam conundrum stems from the airport’s $4 billion redevelopment project — we all know it needs some major TLC and are looking forward to its eventual completion.
H/T: NBC NY
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees