Here’s How NYC is Handling the LGA Gridlock Mess This Holiday Weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Anyone who’s traveled to, from or through New York’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA) since August knows about the threat of intense gridlock traffic. While the problem started last summer, the issue recently resurfaced when people were seen walking down the Grand Central Parkway, weaving through stopped cars just to catch their flights.
With more than 300,000 travelers expected to travel through LGA this President’s Day weekend, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is implementing plans to help the city avoid another gridlock disaster. Here’s what’s being planned:
- Free Q70 select bus service from now through next Tuesday, February 21. The Q70 connects LGA to the NYC subway network in Jackson Heights (E, F, M, R and 7 lines) and Woodside (7 line and connections to the Long Island Rail Road).
- Discounted parking in the long-term lot, where now through May 31, 2017, it’ll cost $18 per day instead of the usual $39 per day. Note that you should enter the lot via the LGA Airport entrance at the 82nd St. bridge — not the one at the 94th St. bridge.
- The taxi stand in Terminal B will be relocated to the west end.
- NYC Airporter buses will drop off and pick up passengers from the outer roadways instead of the west end of the terminal.
As always, the cell phone lot (P5) will be free for passenger pick-up for the first three hours. In addition, ride-sharing services like Uber and Lyft will continue to pick up passengers at the Arrivals level of a given terminal.
LaGuardia’s current traffic jam conundrum stems from the airport’s $4 billion redevelopment project — we all know it needs some major TLC and are looking forward to its eventual completion.
H/T: NBC NY
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.