Could the Hyperloop Be on Its Way to Europe?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The future of travel continues to get closer, with the announcement of a new Hyperloop project in Europe. Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (HTT) and Brno, a city in the Czech Republic, have signed an “exploratory agreement” to develop plans for a Hyperloop track between the Czech city and Bratislava, Slovakia. This would be the first Hyperloop to cross an international border.
The two European cities are about 80 miles apart, which means it currently takes about 1½ hours by train or car to travel between the two cities. But if the Hyperloop is built, sealed pods would hurl humans at super-high speeds — cutting travel time to just 10 minutes.
Hyperloop One, a competitor of HTT, shared in November that it’s working with the United Arab Emirates to create plans for a track between Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Although it may seem odd to connect Brno and Bratislava, HTT has actually been working with the Slovakian government to develop Hyperloop technology in the country since 2016 and Brno is the Czech Republic’s second-largest city and known as a transportation hub in the region.
Right now, the “exploratory agreement” calls only for studying the feasibility of constructing a Hyperloop track between two cities, meaning that it could be years before any actual track is built. The creation of a regulatory framework for a completely new transportation system may also impede the process. Trials are still underway at HTT’s test track in California and the company just signed an agreement with the city of Toulouse, France to build a 3,000 square meter facility for more development and testing.
Featured image courtesy of Hyperloop Transportation Technologies.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.