This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The future of travel continues to get closer, with the announcement of a new Hyperloop project in Europe. Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (HTT) and Brno, a city in the Czech Republic, have signed an “exploratory agreement” to develop plans for a Hyperloop track between the Czech city and Bratislava, Slovakia. This would be the first Hyperloop to cross an international border.
The two European cities are about 80 miles apart, which means it currently takes about 1½ hours by train or car to travel between the two cities. But if the Hyperloop is built, sealed pods would hurl humans at super-high speeds — cutting travel time to just 10 minutes.
Hyperloop One, a competitor of HTT, shared in November that it’s working with the United Arab Emirates to create plans for a track between Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Although it may seem odd to connect Brno and Bratislava, HTT has actually been working with the Slovakian government to develop Hyperloop technology in the country since 2016 and Brno is the Czech Republic’s second-largest city and known as a transportation hub in the region.
Right now, the “exploratory agreement” calls only for studying the feasibility of constructing a Hyperloop track between two cities, meaning that it could be years before any actual track is built. The creation of a regulatory framework for a completely new transportation system may also impede the process. Trials are still underway at HTT’s test track in California and the company just signed an agreement with the city of Toulouse, France to build a 3,000 square meter facility for more development and testing.
Featured image courtesy of Hyperloop Transportation Technologies.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards