This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The future of travel continues to get closer, with the announcement of a new Hyperloop project in Europe. Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (HTT) and Brno, a city in the Czech Republic, have signed an “exploratory agreement” to develop plans for a Hyperloop track between the Czech city and Bratislava, Slovakia. This would be the first Hyperloop to cross an international border.
The two European cities are about 80 miles apart, which means it currently takes about 1½ hours by train or car to travel between the two cities. But if the Hyperloop is built, sealed pods would hurl humans at super-high speeds — cutting travel time to just 10 minutes.
Hyperloop One, a competitor of HTT, shared in November that it’s working with the United Arab Emirates to create plans for a track between Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Although it may seem odd to connect Brno and Bratislava, HTT has actually been working with the Slovakian government to develop Hyperloop technology in the country since 2016 and Brno is the Czech Republic’s second-largest city and known as a transportation hub in the region.
Right now, the “exploratory agreement” calls only for studying the feasibility of constructing a Hyperloop track between two cities, meaning that it could be years before any actual track is built. The creation of a regulatory framework for a completely new transportation system may also impede the process. Trials are still underway at HTT’s test track in California and the company just signed an agreement with the city of Toulouse, France to build a 3,000 square meter facility for more development and testing.
Featured image courtesy of Hyperloop Transportation Technologies.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees