If You Spent $50k on Your Hyatt Credit Card in 2016, You’ll Get Automatic Explorist Status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Hyatt has radically changed its loyalty program, phasing out Hyatt Gold Passport and introducing the World of Hyatt, which will launch on March 1. Among the many changes in store are new elite status levels, and Chase is updating the perks of its co-branded credit card accordingly.
We already knew that Hyatt Credit Card members will get complimentary Discoverist status in the new World of Hyatt program, and that those who spend $50,000 or more on the card in a calendar year once the new program launches will get Explorist status. However, Chase just announced that those who spent at least $50,000 on their card in 2016 will also receive automatic Explorist status, through February 2018.
Explorist is a mid-tier status level that comes with the following perks (among others):
- A 20% point bonus on qualifying stays, dining, spa experiences, etc.
- Four Club lounge access awards annually
- Room upgrade upon arrival
This is some nice news for those who put significant spending on their Hyatt card in 2016. While we still wish Chase and Hyatt would offer an option to spend your way to top-tier Globalist status, the upgrade to Explorist is better than nothing. Again, the World of Hyatt program will launch on March 1. Those who can’t spend $50,000 on their card can still achieve Explorist status by staying 30 qualifying nights at a Hyatt property or by earning 50,000 base points.
Will you get Explorist status based on 2016 Hyatt Credit Card spending?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.