If You Spent $50k on Your Hyatt Credit Card in 2016, You’ll Get Automatic Explorist Status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Hyatt has radically changed its loyalty program, phasing out Hyatt Gold Passport and introducing the World of Hyatt, which will launch on March 1. Among the many changes in store are new elite status levels, and Chase is updating the perks of its co-branded credit card accordingly.
We already knew that Hyatt Credit Card members will get complimentary Discoverist status in the new World of Hyatt program, and that those who spend $50,000 or more on the card in a calendar year once the new program launches will get Explorist status. However, Chase just announced that those who spent at least $50,000 on their card in 2016 will also receive automatic Explorist status, through February 2018.
Explorist is a mid-tier status level that comes with the following perks (among others):
- A 20% point bonus on qualifying stays, dining, spa experiences, etc.
- Four Club lounge access awards annually
- Room upgrade upon arrival
This is some nice news for those who put significant spending on their Hyatt card in 2016. While we still wish Chase and Hyatt would offer an option to spend your way to top-tier Globalist status, the upgrade to Explorist is better than nothing. Again, the World of Hyatt program will launch on March 1. Those who can’t spend $50,000 on their card can still achieve Explorist status by staying 30 qualifying nights at a Hyatt property or by earning 50,000 base points.
Will you get Explorist status based on 2016 Hyatt Credit Card spending?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees