This Is How the Westminster Kennel Club Pets Travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hollywood can keep its Oscars — this year’s award season is going to the dogs. As the canine-loving world looked on this week, nearly 3,000 of the world’s most pristine show dogs were whittled down to one finalist as a German Shepherd named Rumor (full name: GCh. Ch. Lockenhaus’ Rumor Has It V Kenlyn) claimed the coveted Best in Show title at the 141st annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. But every competitor turned up a winner, especially when it came to their travel game.
While the main event takes place at Madison Square Garden, Hotel Pennsylvania, located just across the street, is the main off-hours hub for the show’s well-bred competitors, not to mention the humans who love and train them.
Though it’s always pet-friendly, the hotel essentially transforms itself into a doggie paradise each February in anticipation of the world’s most famous dog show. Four-legged guests are even greeted by the hotel’s onsite Doggie Concierge, who makes sure their every need is met.
“This year’s show’s was great and we welcomed hundreds of dogs with open paws,” said Jerry Grymek, the Hotel Pennsylvania’s longtime Doggie Concierge. “They loved our Dog Spa facilities, which came in handy when it snowed last week. We love our VIPs (Very Important Pooches),” he said.
Upon arrival, Westminster pets receive a welcome gift and treats, plus access to the now-iconic “Room to Groom S’paw,” New York City’s largest dog spa that rivals most human versions with bathtubs, grooming spaces and exercise and fitness areas.
There’s also an indoor pet relief area, complete with fake fire hydrants. Though this may be the pups’ favorite spot, the grooming area is essential for Dog Show contestants, whose every detail will be picked over by the show’s eagle-eyed judges. Translation: there can’t be a strand of fur out of place.
When it comes to mingling, the hotel lobby is where it’s at. Dogs and their handlers can relax before the show — and check out the competition.
Just two blocks away, the art-deco style Wyndham New Yorker Hotel is yet another popular venue for Kennel Club contestants. In anticipation of the influx of furry patrons, the hotel transformed its bottom floor into a dog fitness area and restroom. Luxury has officially gone to the dogs.
Featured image courtesy of Hotel Pennsylvania.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.