This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hollywood can keep its Oscars — this year’s award season is going to the dogs. As the canine-loving world looked on this week, nearly 3,000 of the world’s most pristine show dogs were whittled down to one finalist as a German Shepherd named Rumor (full name: GCh. Ch. Lockenhaus’ Rumor Has It V Kenlyn) claimed the coveted Best in Show title at the 141st annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. But every competitor turned up a winner, especially when it came to their travel game.
While the main event takes place at Madison Square Garden, Hotel Pennsylvania, located just across the street, is the main off-hours hub for the show’s well-bred competitors, not to mention the humans who love and train them.
Though it’s always pet-friendly, the hotel essentially transforms itself into a doggie paradise each February in anticipation of the world’s most famous dog show. Four-legged guests are even greeted by the hotel’s onsite Doggie Concierge, who makes sure their every need is met.
“This year’s show’s was great and we welcomed hundreds of dogs with open paws,” said Jerry Grymek, the Hotel Pennsylvania’s longtime Doggie Concierge. “They loved our Dog Spa facilities, which came in handy when it snowed last week. We love our VIPs (Very Important Pooches),” he said.
Upon arrival, Westminster pets receive a welcome gift and treats, plus access to the now-iconic “Room to Groom S’paw,” New York City’s largest dog spa that rivals most human versions with bathtubs, grooming spaces and exercise and fitness areas.
There’s also an indoor pet relief area, complete with fake fire hydrants. Though this may be the pups’ favorite spot, the grooming area is essential for Dog Show contestants, whose every detail will be picked over by the show’s eagle-eyed judges. Translation: there can’t be a strand of fur out of place.
When it comes to mingling, the hotel lobby is where it’s at. Dogs and their handlers can relax before the show — and check out the competition.
Just two blocks away, the art-deco style Wyndham New Yorker Hotel is yet another popular venue for Kennel Club contestants. In anticipation of the influx of furry patrons, the hotel transformed its bottom floor into a dog fitness area and restroom. Luxury has officially gone to the dogs.
Featured image courtesy of Hotel Pennsylvania.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*