This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hollywood can keep its Oscars — this year’s award season is going to the dogs. As the canine-loving world looked on this week, nearly 3,000 of the world’s most pristine show dogs were whittled down to one finalist as a German Shepherd named Rumor (full name: GCh. Ch. Lockenhaus’ Rumor Has It V Kenlyn) claimed the coveted Best in Show title at the 141st annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. But every competitor turned up a winner, especially when it came to their travel game.
While the main event takes place at Madison Square Garden, Hotel Pennsylvania, located just across the street, is the main off-hours hub for the show’s well-bred competitors, not to mention the humans who love and train them.
Though it’s always pet-friendly, the hotel essentially transforms itself into a doggie paradise each February in anticipation of the world’s most famous dog show. Four-legged guests are even greeted by the hotel’s onsite Doggie Concierge, who makes sure their every need is met.
“This year’s show’s was great and we welcomed hundreds of dogs with open paws,” said Jerry Grymek, the Hotel Pennsylvania’s longtime Doggie Concierge. “They loved our Dog Spa facilities, which came in handy when it snowed last week. We love our VIPs (Very Important Pooches),” he said.
Upon arrival, Westminster pets receive a welcome gift and treats, plus access to the now-iconic “Room to Groom S’paw,” New York City’s largest dog spa that rivals most human versions with bathtubs, grooming spaces and exercise and fitness areas.
There’s also an indoor pet relief area, complete with fake fire hydrants. Though this may be the pups’ favorite spot, the grooming area is essential for Dog Show contestants, whose every detail will be picked over by the show’s eagle-eyed judges. Translation: there can’t be a strand of fur out of place.
When it comes to mingling, the hotel lobby is where it’s at. Dogs and their handlers can relax before the show — and check out the competition.
Just two blocks away, the art-deco style Wyndham New Yorker Hotel is yet another popular venue for Kennel Club contestants. In anticipation of the influx of furry patrons, the hotel transformed its bottom floor into a dog fitness area and restroom. Luxury has officially gone to the dogs.
Featured image courtesy of Hotel Pennsylvania.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees