This Is How the Westminster Kennel Club Pets Travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hollywood can keep its Oscars — this year’s award season is going to the dogs. As the canine-loving world looked on this week, nearly 3,000 of the world’s most pristine show dogs were whittled down to one finalist as a German Shepherd named Rumor (full name: GCh. Ch. Lockenhaus’ Rumor Has It V Kenlyn) claimed the coveted Best in Show title at the 141st annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. But every competitor turned up a winner, especially when it came to their travel game.
While the main event takes place at Madison Square Garden, Hotel Pennsylvania, located just across the street, is the main off-hours hub for the show’s well-bred competitors, not to mention the humans who love and train them.
Though it’s always pet-friendly, the hotel essentially transforms itself into a doggie paradise each February in anticipation of the world’s most famous dog show. Four-legged guests are even greeted by the hotel’s onsite Doggie Concierge, who makes sure their every need is met.
“This year’s show’s was great and we welcomed hundreds of dogs with open paws,” said Jerry Grymek, the Hotel Pennsylvania’s longtime Doggie Concierge. “They loved our Dog Spa facilities, which came in handy when it snowed last week. We love our VIPs (Very Important Pooches),” he said.
Upon arrival, Westminster pets receive a welcome gift and treats, plus access to the now-iconic “Room to Groom S’paw,” New York City’s largest dog spa that rivals most human versions with bathtubs, grooming spaces and exercise and fitness areas.
There’s also an indoor pet relief area, complete with fake fire hydrants. Though this may be the pups’ favorite spot, the grooming area is essential for Dog Show contestants, whose every detail will be picked over by the show’s eagle-eyed judges. Translation: there can’t be a strand of fur out of place.
When it comes to mingling, the hotel lobby is where it’s at. Dogs and their handlers can relax before the show — and check out the competition.
Just two blocks away, the art-deco style Wyndham New Yorker Hotel is yet another popular venue for Kennel Club contestants. In anticipation of the influx of furry patrons, the hotel transformed its bottom floor into a dog fitness area and restroom. Luxury has officially gone to the dogs.
Featured image courtesy of Hotel Pennsylvania.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees