Uber’s Getting Serious About Making Flying Cars a Reality
Mark Moore, a former advanced aircraft engineer at NASA’s Langley Research Center, recently left the space center to join Uber. The reason for a NASA engineer’s transition to the company that disrupted the taxi industry? To take on the role of director of engineering for aviation. He was intrigued by the rideshare company’s desire to act as a catalyst in the industry by working to solve problems that will need to be overcome in order for this vision to become a reality, such as noise pollution, battery life and efficiency.
The initiative, called Uber Elevate, was originally published in October 2016. It lays out the company’s vision to have a network of on-demand, electric ‘flying cars’ to take you where you need to go. The cars would resemble helicopters in take-off and landing, but would be smaller and quieter. Theoretically, they’ll help relieve traffic on roadways and break the cycle of long commutes to and from the office.
While there will be many obstacles to overcome before flying cars are a reality — including air-traffic restrictions, aircraft certifications, and sky-high prices — Moore predicts flying cars could take off within the next one to three years, though that sounds like a very ambitious timeline.
Will we soon be flying around our cities like the Jetsons did? Apparently, we may not have to wait too long to see.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
H/T: Dallas News
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.