SkyTeam Members Air France and KLM Extend Flying Blue Award Calendar
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The mileage program of Air France and KLM — known as Flying Blue — can offer great value if you know how to use it. The program offers discounted Promo Awards each month on its own selected routes, and as a part of SkyTeam it has access to flights on partners like Delta and Korean Air, along with a few non-alliance partners such as Japan Airlines.
However, one quirk of the program has long been that it only opened its award calendar approximately 10 months out, meaning you couldn’t book a Flying Blue award flight any earlier than 10 months before departure.
Not only is this unusual compared to most other frequent flyer programs — which generally open their award calendars closer to one year out — but Air France and KLM were in fact releasing their award seats to partners before the 10-month timeframe. So you could book Air France and KLM award flights 11 or 12 months ahead of time, but not with Flying Blue miles. Instead, you’d have to use Delta SkyMiles or another SkyTeam currency.
While this never affected Promo Awards since those specials are usually for flights that are only a few months out, it could easily affect how much award space a Flying Blue member would have access to, since early award seats could be snapped up via redemptions in other award programs before they even reached Flying Blue members.
But it appears Flying Blue has finally changed this policy, as its award calendar is now allowing award seats to be searched for and booked up to 360 days in advance.
This is great news for Flying Blue members, though not such great news for customers of other SkyTeam partners since they’ll no longer have advance access to Air France and KLM space. But Flying Blue is a transfer partner of all four major flexible loyalty programs — Chase Ultimate Rewards, Amex Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou Rewards and SPG — so it’s extremely easy to turn points into Flying Blue miles. You can also credit flights from any SkyTeam partner to Flying Blue and pick up miles that way.
A word of warning: You’ll want to keep a sharp eye out for fuel surcharges when redeeming Flying Blue miles, though they’re usually not quite as egregious as fuel surcharges in other programs. Check out our post “The Top Uses of Flying Blue Miles” for more details and a great list of possible redemptions.
H/T: Live and Let’s Fly
Featured image courtesy of Air France.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees