Disney Announces Timeline for Avatar and Star Wars Worlds
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fans of Star Wars and James Cameron’s Avatar will have new reasons to visit Walt Disney World in Orlando this year, after its parent company announced launch dates for two new themed areas. Gizmodo reports the attractions will begin opening as soon as May 2017.
During a quarterly earnings call with investors, Disney chief executive Robert Iger revealed Pandora: The World of Avatar would open on May 27 as an addition to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Directly inspired by the Oscar-nominated film, the new area will feature two rides, as well as shopping and dining experiences for visitors. The addition of the attraction takes advantage of the abundant space at Animal Kingdom, which currently contains a mix of safari-style tours and rides inspired by destinations in Africa and Asia.
The launch of Pandora will be followed by the expansion of both Disneyland in California and Disney Hollywood Studios in Orlando with a themed Star Wars world. Both theme parks will feature a 14-acre attraction dedicated to the Star Wars universe, timed to launch in 2019 and coinciding with the debut of the final movie in the sequel trilogy. The extent of the new lands has not yet been revealed, but early concepts for the attractions include a ride featuring the Millennium Falcon.
Disney’s move to open new attractions comes as it’s feeling increased competition for park attendees from Universal Resorts. Skift reports that Disney’s theme park division acknowledged an overall park attendance drop by 5% in 2016 during the call. However, not all of the drop was attributed to increased competition: Iger also cited the weekend winter holiday season and Hurricane Matthew as factors in the reduction.
Executives also noted that as the new attractions open, admission prices would continue to rise. In addition to seasonally adjusted prices, Iger noted the parks generally increase the prices on an annual basis.
Featured image of concept art courtesy of Disney Parks and Resorts.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.