These Are the Countries With the Fastest Mobile Internet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In today’s fast-paced and mobile-obsessed world, there aren’t many things more frustrating than a slow cell phone connection. Whether it’s the less-than-reliable Wi-Fi on New York subways or a blocked signal in an Italian wine cellar, it’s hard to post the perfect Instagram photo if you can’t connect.
Luckily, Open Signal, a data analytics firm has made it easy for you to chase after the perfect mobile signal. The company recently released new research detailing the countries with the fastest mobile internet connections between November 2016 and January 2017. The top countries came in averaging around 30 megabits per second.
The fastest speeds were found in South Korea (37.5 mbps), Norway (34.8 mbps), Hungary (31 mbps) and Singapore (30 mbps). The US ranked No. 36 out of the 87 countries listed, with an average of 12.5 megabits per second, coming in below Macedonia (13 mbps), Romania (13.2 mbps) and Slovenia (14.5 mbps). The US also came in below the global average for LTE speeds at 17.4 mbps. The Open Signal report also noted that most mobile devices spend most of the time connected to Wi-Fi networks.
If you’re a frequent traveler who wants to make the most of strong data signals abroad, Google’s Project Fi is a good option, as it connects you to local networks in foreign countries that have the best connection — meaning you could visit South Korea and make use of its crazy fast signal to upload your favorite pictures from the N Seoul Tower.
While the US didn’t rank particularly high on this list, wireless competition in America is heating up with both Verizon and AT&T announcing unlimited plans this month. Unlimited data might be nice, but head to one of the 35 countries with faster mobile internet — including Lithuania, Croatia, and Bulgaria — to really make use of your smart phone’s capabilities.
Featured image courtesy of Geber86 via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees