These Are the Countries With the Fastest Mobile Internet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In today’s fast-paced and mobile-obsessed world, there aren’t many things more frustrating than a slow cell phone connection. Whether it’s the less-than-reliable Wi-Fi on New York subways or a blocked signal in an Italian wine cellar, it’s hard to post the perfect Instagram photo if you can’t connect.
Luckily, Open Signal, a data analytics firm has made it easy for you to chase after the perfect mobile signal. The company recently released new research detailing the countries with the fastest mobile internet connections between November 2016 and January 2017. The top countries came in averaging around 30 megabits per second.
The fastest speeds were found in South Korea (37.5 mbps), Norway (34.8 mbps), Hungary (31 mbps) and Singapore (30 mbps). The US ranked No. 36 out of the 87 countries listed, with an average of 12.5 megabits per second, coming in below Macedonia (13 mbps), Romania (13.2 mbps) and Slovenia (14.5 mbps). The US also came in below the global average for LTE speeds at 17.4 mbps. The Open Signal report also noted that most mobile devices spend most of the time connected to Wi-Fi networks.
If you’re a frequent traveler who wants to make the most of strong data signals abroad, Google’s Project Fi is a good option, as it connects you to local networks in foreign countries that have the best connection — meaning you could visit South Korea and make use of its crazy fast signal to upload your favorite pictures from the N Seoul Tower.
While the US didn’t rank particularly high on this list, wireless competition in America is heating up with both Verizon and AT&T announcing unlimited plans this month. Unlimited data might be nice, but head to one of the 35 countries with faster mobile internet — including Lithuania, Croatia, and Bulgaria — to really make use of your smart phone’s capabilities.
Featured image courtesy of Geber86 via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees