These Are the Countries With the Fastest Mobile Internet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In today’s fast-paced and mobile-obsessed world, there aren’t many things more frustrating than a slow cell phone connection. Whether it’s the less-than-reliable Wi-Fi on New York subways or a blocked signal in an Italian wine cellar, it’s hard to post the perfect Instagram photo if you can’t connect.
Luckily, Open Signal, a data analytics firm has made it easy for you to chase after the perfect mobile signal. The company recently released new research detailing the countries with the fastest mobile internet connections between November 2016 and January 2017. The top countries came in averaging around 30 megabits per second.
The fastest speeds were found in South Korea (37.5 mbps), Norway (34.8 mbps), Hungary (31 mbps) and Singapore (30 mbps). The US ranked No. 36 out of the 87 countries listed, with an average of 12.5 megabits per second, coming in below Macedonia (13 mbps), Romania (13.2 mbps) and Slovenia (14.5 mbps). The US also came in below the global average for LTE speeds at 17.4 mbps. The Open Signal report also noted that most mobile devices spend most of the time connected to Wi-Fi networks.
If you’re a frequent traveler who wants to make the most of strong data signals abroad, Google’s Project Fi is a good option, as it connects you to local networks in foreign countries that have the best connection — meaning you could visit South Korea and make use of its crazy fast signal to upload your favorite pictures from the N Seoul Tower.
While the US didn’t rank particularly high on this list, wireless competition in America is heating up with both Verizon and AT&T announcing unlimited plans this month. Unlimited data might be nice, but head to one of the 35 countries with faster mobile internet — including Lithuania, Croatia, and Bulgaria — to really make use of your smart phone’s capabilities.
Featured image courtesy of Geber86 via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.