These Are the Countries With the Fastest Mobile Internet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In today’s fast-paced and mobile-obsessed world, there aren’t many things more frustrating than a slow cell phone connection. Whether it’s the less-than-reliable Wi-Fi on New York subways or a blocked signal in an Italian wine cellar, it’s hard to post the perfect Instagram photo if you can’t connect.
Luckily, Open Signal, a data analytics firm has made it easy for you to chase after the perfect mobile signal. The company recently released new research detailing the countries with the fastest mobile internet connections between November 2016 and January 2017. The top countries came in averaging around 30 megabits per second.
The fastest speeds were found in South Korea (37.5 mbps), Norway (34.8 mbps), Hungary (31 mbps) and Singapore (30 mbps). The US ranked No. 36 out of the 87 countries listed, with an average of 12.5 megabits per second, coming in below Macedonia (13 mbps), Romania (13.2 mbps) and Slovenia (14.5 mbps). The US also came in below the global average for LTE speeds at 17.4 mbps. The Open Signal report also noted that most mobile devices spend most of the time connected to Wi-Fi networks.
If you’re a frequent traveler who wants to make the most of strong data signals abroad, Google’s Project Fi is a good option, as it connects you to local networks in foreign countries that have the best connection — meaning you could visit South Korea and make use of its crazy fast signal to upload your favorite pictures from the N Seoul Tower.
While the US didn’t rank particularly high on this list, wireless competition in America is heating up with both Verizon and AT&T announcing unlimited plans this month. Unlimited data might be nice, but head to one of the 35 countries with faster mobile internet — including Lithuania, Croatia, and Bulgaria — to really make use of your smart phone’s capabilities.
Featured image courtesy of Geber86 via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.